Assembling On A Ladder?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm by Loucinda

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:13am
post #1 of 5

I'm making my friend's wedding cake in July. I asked her the other day about the cake table (size and did she want some gumpaste flowers for it) and she said they'll be putting the cake on a built-in that's about shoulder-height to me...but not to worry because they have a big stepstool I can use.

I broke my leg in February and it's not going to be me on that stepstool...I have only been walking again for a month and can barely manage to step up on a curb. So poor hubby will be on the stepstool. I was wondering if any of you have had to use a ladder or stepstool to assemble a cake. Any good tips or tricks? Is it easy to tell if it's centered if you're higher up? That's his main worry, that he won't be able to center my tiers.

We're going to have to drive the cake about 30 miles out in the country on some bumpy roads so I'm not going to attempt delivering it already stacked.

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't done that but I do have some tips.

Let him get up the ladder first and hand him the cake.

Good luck Judi =]

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 5

Is it possible to assemble it on a regular table and then have a couple of strong people lift it up there? That's what I would do (then again I deliver all of my cakes fully assembled).

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 5

Bronwen's always assembling on a ladder on challenges. One stands on the ladder, the other tells them which way to ooch the cake.

Oh. And I think I'd take my own step stool/ ladder. You never know how rickety someone else's is.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

Tough one. I have done the step stool thing, and I hate it. There is NO way I can stack and lift a 3 or 4 tiered cake that high by myself. (most of my cakes have a 16 or 18 inch base) Not happening.

I am usually by myself when I deliver - but there is always the event planner/caterer there - I ask for help when centering....does this look right? (I do mark the cake also, but when you are up that high, you cannot see them)

It has worked out and the cakes are fine and centered, but I still hate it when they want cake that high up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%