How To Keep Fondant Soft

Decorating By tcdup Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:03am by charliecakes

tcdup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcdup Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

How do I keep the fondant from getting hard once I cover a cake with it. I use a lot of buttercream to ice the cake before putting the fondant on top. I use either homemade MMF or Satin Ice fondant. I hate that it looks so great but once you try to cut it its hard. What can I do to keep it soft?!?!

6 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

Great question! I wish I had an answer for you. I do have to add that your baby girl is beautiful!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

I've never had fondant stay soft once it is on the cake and don't think it is meant to. I think of it as a "cake cupboard." However, I have used Satin Ice as well and am surprised by how very much harder it becomes (you can literally knock on the cake and it sounds like wood) than my favorite homemade: Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant.

tcdup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcdup Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 7

will MMF get as hard or does it stay soft?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 7

While my fondant may have a somewhat "hard crust," underneath that thin crust, it remains nice and soft. It's not unlike the "crust" of my buttercream -- firmer, of course, but I like that aspect of it because it makes decorating and stacking so much easier.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensue

While my fondant may have a somewhat "hard crust," underneath that thin crust, it remains nice and soft. It's not unlike the "crust" of my buttercream -- firmer, of course, but I like that aspect of it because it makes decorating and stacking so much easier.

Good description, and what I meant... yes, hard outer crust. And, yes, Marshmallow fondant performs the same way, hardens up on the outside, softer on the inside...

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

tcdup, i just posted a similar post on the cake decorators forum a few days ago about pliable soft fondant. I have also found fondant to harden a little once i place it on the cake. I've seen some people cut and eat cake with fondant on it and it seems and looks so soft and pliable. My post asked if maybe they added something to their fondant? What am i doing wrong. I knead and knead and knead some more and still after a while the fondant gets a hard knock on wood sound. We are having the same problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%