Cut Out Cookies Spreading During Baking

Baking By still_learning Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 1:33am by still_learning

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about why my cut out sugar cookies sometimes seem to spread and not hold shape very well while baking. I always cool down the cookie sheets between batches. From the same batch of dough, some come out great and some spread out badly. Does the dough need to be super cold to hold shape well? It seems like it doesn't matter if the dough has been re-rolled because some of the cookies made after several re-rolls come out great. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

I chill mine before baking them.

What recipe are you using? No Fail Sugar Cookie(NFSC) is the recipe I use.

Amifsud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amifsud Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 4

I use NFSC also, not only do I chill them, I freeze them(about 7-10 minutes) on the baking sheet then straight into the oven. I roll and re-roll the dough till I have none left. NFSC is a great recipe.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I usually have the dough pretty chilled, keep it in the freezer, but sometimes it's not as cold when I rush to keep the ovens filled. I will have to try freezing them on the sheets before baking! I use a sugar cookie recipe from The Joy of Cooking. People seem to really love the taste. I will have to try out the NFSC - thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%