3 Inch Cake Pans

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 1:14am by ptanyer

Skidoochic Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 9

So I was at the Wilton Tent sale and I saw the Decorator Preferred cake pans and I thought they were the Performance pans. If you have ever been to the sale, it is a madhouse. I grabbed two sets and threw them in my cart and was home before I looked at them. They are 3 inches deep. It says you are supposed to torte and fill the tiers, rather than stack them and use a heating core.

I am doing a wedding cake this weekend and wanted to use these pans, but I don't know how to do all that fancy stuff. Do you really need to use a heating core? Is it really easier to torte a 3" high cake to make it 4" or to just stack cakes? Should I just do what I know? I am toying with baking the 6" round in the 3" pan and testing it out, but torting a 6" cake is whole lot easier than a 16"!!!

Any suggestions?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 9

I use the 3" pans but I still bake two layers, level and then put filling between the two. I use a flower nail in the middle instead of a heating core.

I don't think it's as easy to get a 4" layer by baking the 3" and torting and filling...even in the picture on the pan insert on Wilton's set, the tiers don't look that tall.

Skidoochic Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 9

Oh - thank you for replying!!! I hope you don't mind if I ask some followup questions. Do you level the cakes to 2" tall then? Do you use a flower nail in all sizes or just 10" and up?

jardot22 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

I also use the 3 inch pans and do 2 layers. I only fill the pans slightly more than halfway so that the layers are around 2 inches tall after baking. I don't use a flower nail at all, or heating core. I just bake at 300 degrees and they turn out perfect every time.

bashini Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 9

Hi, all my cake tins are 3" high. I bake all in one upto 10" and above that in two. I use flower nails for all my cakes.

I level the top and torte the cakes twice. Once everything's done, the hight is 3" or a bit more. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, all my cake tins are 3" high. I bake all in one upto 10" and above that in two. I use flower nails for all my cakes.

I level the top and torte the cakes twice. Once everything's done, the hight is 3" or a bit more. icon_smile.gif

Sorry, I'm pretty new at this--do you end up with a 4-layer tier? I am trying to figure out what to do with mine. I have a gigantic (to me!) 12" that baked to 2" and I'm trying to determine whether to make it a 2 layer tier and match the rest, or to bake another and make each tier higher (I don't really want a low cake, but I'll have much more cake than this wedding needs!)

WWYD?

bashini Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry if I was not very clear. There are three layer and two fillings. That is Cake- Filling - Cake - Filling - Cake.

I bake bigger cakes more than 10" in two halves. One half cut in half and same with the other one and end up having layers as before. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #8 of 9

When you say you bake anything over 10" in 2 "halves" do you mean semi-circles? I was thinking, if I had two 10" circles and torted/filled each, I'd also have a filling layer when I stack those two 2-layer circles (for 4 layers of cake).

I guess I'm wondering if I could cut 3 layers out of just a 2" cake (I'm sure I can, but wouldn't it be difficult?) icon_confused.gif

ptanyer Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #9 of 9

All of my cake pans are 3" pans. That way I can either make a 3" layer and tort, or I can make 2" layers and fill and stack them. Either way, I like tall cake tiers and haven't had any complaints from customers.

I don't want to fool with thin layers - too much of a chance of the thinner layers breaking and falling apart. Not to mention being able to achieve equal sized layers. Maybe when I can afford an Agbay I might consider it, but for now, I just make thinner layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%