Advice Needed!!! Traveling With A Cake

Decorating By kimbers Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm by all4cake

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 11

I don't know if this is even possible. I have a friend who wants me to do a grooms cake for her husband. I'm doing it as a gift if it's even possible. The problem is, is that the wedding is in another state. She is driving 8 hours 4 days before the wedding. First of all would the cake still be good after 4 days and how would I ensure freshness? Any suggestions would be helpful... btw it would a carved cake if that makes a difference on travel needs.

10 replies
kimbers Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 11

anyone have any ideas?

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #3 of 11

I just had a cake travel 175 miles and I uses the SPS system. It was a 3 tier BC with bavarian cream filling. I packaged it in a large box with the top open so air could circulate. It rested on non-skid matting and was held in place at the board with styrofoam. That sucker made it!! thumbs_up.gif

As for the 4 days and traveling thing.. I am not so sure. All I can do is offer some suggestions and questions to consider.

- It is going to be carved, will that be BC or fondant?
- Is it possible to refrigerate once it is there?
- How much prep time are you going to need to finish it?
- Where is it coming from and going to?
- Is she going to have someone with her so she can keep the car running at pit stops?
- What kind of carving? Is it something that is going to have weight distrinbuted evenly?

I am sure I can come up with more but this will get you started.

GOOD LUCK!!
Lisa

kimbers Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 11

-We haven't decided on whether it will be buttercream or fondant. Would one be better than another for 4 days? I'm thinking fondant. Unless it's refrigerated. Which she will have access too.
-the cake will be completely finished when she leaves to drive.
-it is coming from Texas going to New Orleans.
-Yes she will have someone with her during pit stops.
-the carving will be a frog. so pretty much evenly distributed.

I was thinking if it's refrigerated I should do it in buttercream, but driving all that way I'm worried it might melt some. But it can be kept cool.

kimbers Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 11

Anyone else have any ideas on how to keep it fresh for four days and while traveling about 8 hours? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimbers Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 11

Some of you cake experts must have some tips...???

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 11

I think you should definitely cover it in fondant - the fondant will help keep it moist inside for longer, and with most fondants you can still refrigerate it if you choose to do so, although it shouldn't need it. Maybe not MMF though if you planned on using that. Also, if you freeze your cake ahead of time, that may help it retain more moisture as well. Just my opinions!

Kissycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kissycake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 11

I'm also traveling with a tiered cake soon - what is the SPS system? I'm very nervous about driving it - the trip is 5 hours.

Thanks.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 11

SPS is single plate stacking system....There is a tutorial (look for the sticky note icon) at the very beginning of the forum that shows how to use it.....

I don't know...Summertime, and four days....Even without perishable ingredients, the cake may not be too fresh....Would your friend consider shipping it under refrigeration so that they could get it overnight? It might be kind of expensive, but at least it would be kept cold to keep it fresh longer. I saw on Ace of cakes where they shipped one of their cakes overnight by refrigerated cargo...

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 11

How large is the cake? Can you buy a cooler big enough to put it in?

I have my doubts about a cake surviving an 8-hour trip regardless, but you could try layering those re-freezable packs into a cooler, putting cardboard on top of it, and then putting the cake in (board and all, of course). Still, four days is a LONG time for a cake to sit...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 11

Below are the steps I took when making the tiered cake for my mother (thoughts of mama, in my gallery). Fondant covered cakes can be frozen and refrigerated...the key is to bring it to room temp slowly.

Cake was carved,filled,crumbcoated, allowed to settle, frozen, covered in fondant while frozen, returned to freezer overnight, traveled 5+ hours, stored in fridge overnight, allowed to set room temp for approx 3 hours, decorated, delivered to site for assembly and flower placement. I consider myself EXTREMELY LUCKY! No bubbling, no sliding fondant, no oozing mousse.

So, if you finished it and froze it solid...placed frozen cake in box on ns pad....kept the box in the shady area of the vehicle...upon arrival at the destination, remove cake from box and place in refrigerator....either the night before or the morning of, remove cake from fridge and allow it to come to room temp in an a/ced room...all should be well.

I drove 5 (and a smidge) hours with those tiers. I took potty breaks...smoke breaks...my arse is gettin' tired of driving breaks...and turned the vehicle off each time.
Granted, it was mid March on the east coast not mid hell on the gulf coast...I still think the cake would travel well even in those conditions if the above steps were taken...I know I'll be doing any for extended trips just like that from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%