Wasc Help!!!

Decorating By TexasRandi Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:21am by Elise87

TexasRandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasRandi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 13

Okay, I have tried this recipe twice and both times all my cakes (10-8-6 3"rounds) have had sunken centers but tested done with cake pick. I baked at 325 both nights and the second night baked for just over an hour. Am I not baking long enough??? Also, I have noticed that there are two different versions of the WASC on here. The one I used called for 1/4 cup vegetable oil (the one with 2 cake mixes) and I noticed another version had no oil. Instead of water I did use vanilla creamer, could that be the problem? Thanks for all your help, the flavor was yummy but it was a dense, gooey mess. I really want this recipe to work out...

12 replies
kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 13

We are new to this and have baked the mac'smom version. The first time we had cakes that sank in the middle. They were 8" round by 1" deep. We know without a doubt it's because we checked the cakes too many times and even after they appeared done with the toothpick, they weren't done. The next ones we did turned out perfect and we baked them much longer, were more gentle with how we moved them around to test them, and just overall, didn't rush it. That's probably the best advice I can think of, is don't rush it. Are you cooking all 3 sizes at the same temp for the same time and all at once? I've found that for the 8x2 round, it takes about 60-65 minutes @ 325 and the 6x2 round, it takes about 45-50 @ 325. Hopefully someone with better experience can better give reasons on what might be going wrong.

TexasRandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasRandi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze_fish

We are new to this and have baked the mac'smom version. The first time we had cakes that sank in the middle. They were 8" round by 1" deep. We know without a doubt it's because we checked the cakes too many times and even after they appeared done with the toothpick, they weren't done. The next ones we did turned out perfect and we baked them much longer, were more gentle with how we moved them around to test them, and just overall, didn't rush it. That's probably the best advice I can think of, is don't rush it. Are you cooking all 3 sizes at the same temp for the same time and all at once? I've found that for the 8x2 round, it takes about 60-65 minutes @ 325 and the 6x2 round, it takes about 45-50 @ 325. Hopefully someone with better experience can better give reasons on what might be going wrong.

I a having trouble finding mac'smom recipe...is it in the recipe section?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #4 of 13

I use this one and it always comes out great! I can't help with the other recipe , I have never tried it, I tried this one first and stuck with it....

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7445-The-Original-WASC-cake-recipe.html

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 13

I've only made WASC twice, but I had no issues. I also used the 'original' WASC by Kakeladi. I very much doubt that replacing the water with creamer was the issue. Prior to taking it out, how many times did you open the oven? The only cakes I've ever had fall were ones that I've opened the oven too early

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:47am
post #6 of 13

Did you use Duncan Hines?

I've had 2 sinkers...both were DH mixes. Others here have experienced the same problem when they used it. Of course, just as many get perfect results with it, LOL.

I read that you should add 1 tsp. of baking powder to the batter to prevent sinking...haven't tried it myself.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:26am
post #7 of 13

I use Kakeladi's recipe that Jaime posted, except I add 1/4 cup of oil per each box mix used. I also use extra large eggs. It has come out wonderful for me.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 13

[quote="TexasRandi"] Instead of water I did use vanilla creamer, could that be the problem?{/quote]

Depending on brand, the creamer is loaded with either high/fructose corn syrup or sugar.

Too much fat and/or sugar or leavening will cause a cake to fall in the center.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi

..the flavor was yummy but it was a dense, gooey mess.

From reading numerous posts, it seems to me that a lot of members are striving for a less traditional cake-like and more gooey fudge brownie type consistency which they consider "dense."

To sum up previous threads on using the liquid non-dairy creamers - not more than 1/2 cup should be substituted for water/liquid.

Problems with liquid non-dairy coffee creamers:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-293673-.html

Scratch cake recipes that use coffee creamer:
(Liquid non-dairy creamer.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-159851-.html

HTH

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #9 of 13

while we are on the topic of WASC cake: it has sourcream in it but does that mean you can still leave it out on the bench if covered in fondant? or does this cake need to stay in the fridge and only be left out for a little bit at a time?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 13

You can leave it out. I leave them out all the time icon_biggrin.gif

I bake all of my WASC cakes with a flower nail in the middle of the pan, no matter what size the cake is. It helps it bake more evenly and there's no issues with the center not getting done. I only use DH mixes and don't have any problems with sunken centers, even though I've read that most people don't care for the DH mixes.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 13

I tried the version with the oil and mine sunk in the middle too. In all my years of baking, I haven't had too many sunken centers. icon_sad.gif That said, the cake was still delicious and my family was thrilled that they got to eat the cake for once. icon_smile.gif I'm trying it again. Can't find my flower nails so I have cannoil forms in the middle.

Elise87 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 13

thanks texas!

Elise87 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #13 of 13

now i dunno about sunken centers but i heard a while ago on here to get some wet paper towel wrap it in foil and then wrap it around the cake tin to help it bake evenly and a flatter top...anyone tried that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%