Favorite Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm by DeeDelightful

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 16

For those of you who have a "go to" favorite buttercream or have tried them ALL, I would like to know what your favorite buttercream recipe is. Especially if it makes a big batch or is easily doubled into a big batch.

15 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 16

My favorite bcf is White Chocolate Buttercream. Equal parts butter and shortening. (I use a pound each) 6-7+ lbs. powdered sugar; 1/4 vanilla; 1.5 tsp. salt dissolved in 1/3 - 2/3 C warm water and 4.5 oz of very good white chocolate (not candy melts), melted and cooled. Cream butter and shortening together till no lumps exist. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar and salted water. Add White chocolate. You can add more ps or water depending on how soft you want it. The salt takes away some of that nasty powdered sugar taste and the white chocolate imparts a very mild but distinct chocolat flavor.
Enjoy!
P.S. I cover my KA with a damp tea towel, tucked behind the plastic guard, being careful not to cover the vents for the motor as this keeps any powder from flying around the kitchen.

P.S.S. This makes quite a bit, enough to crumb coat and ice a two layer 12" round and a 10" round. I should actually measure just how much it makes next time. icon_surprised.gif)

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks. That does sound good. I know buttercream should be sweet. I can do sweet if it weren't for that powdered sugar aftertaste.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 16

My favorites are Buttercream Dream (the recipe is on here) and SMBC from The Well Dressed Cake (the recipe is also on here). If you can't find them, let me know and I'll send the links to you!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:04am
post #5 of 16

I use Buttercream Dream too. I have read so many people here that don't use it because of the shortening but I honestly don't taste the shortening at all - I do when it is first made but after it sits for an hour or two, I don't taste it. I use all salted butter - maybe that makes a difference.

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:11am
post #6 of 16

I have to put my plug in for Indydebi's buttercream. It's so easy to make, it tastes absolutely delicious, and I have never had ANYBODY say it has any kind of aftertaste or that they don't like it (and of course, I could just eat the stuff straight out of a bowl with a spoon!!)

And I make it with generic shortening (preferably WalMart) and any kind of powdered sugar, and I throw all kinds of different flavorings and chocolate (white or dark) and other stuff in it, and I have never had a problem. Love it!!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:17am
post #7 of 16

IndyDebi's icing is really good as well. And it's holds up really well to the heat. So I second that as well!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #8 of 16

I hate to say this, but for piping, the best one I've come across is Wilton's buttercream recipe. It's the only one that holds its shape well enough to do well-defined flowers and edges, and actually the taste is fairly inoffensive for an all-shortening recipe. I've never tried Indydebi's recipe because I can't get Dream Whip where I live, but I'd like to be able to some time, since I've heard such good things about it and I'm a real fan of hers. For taste and "smoothability" my go-to recipe is the "Crusting Buttercream (VIVA method)" recipe found in the recipe section here on Cake Central. As for meringue buttercreams (IMBC and SMBC, for example), no matter how good everone says they are, I flat-out refuse to make anything where I have to beat egg whites over hot water or heat sugar to a certain temperature in order to use it - this is a prejudice I hope to overcome with time, but I haven't yet icon_redface.gif .

I edited this post because I left a bunch of things out the first time around.

cylstrial Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:30am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

As for meringue buttercreams (IMBC and SMBC, for exampli), no matter how good everone says they are, I flat-out refuse to make anything where I have to beat egg whites over hot water or heat sugar to a certain temperature in order to use it - this is a prejudice I hope to overcome with time, but I haven't yet icon_redface.gif .

Just try it! When you have a free day and there's no one around to eat the cake but you...try it! I thought that it would be hard to make and that it wouldn't taste good. But you know what, it was EASY to make and tastes delicious! And I make sure that it gets over 160 F, so that they are cooked well.

Just try it! If you don't like it, at least you can say you tried and it's gross or whatever reason (too much work, still concerned about the eggs being cooked right).

Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #10 of 16

I know in my heart of hearts you're right cylstrial, so I promise I will when I get a chance (although that might not happen until sometime in 2014 at the rate my schedule is running lately icon_cry.gif ). Thanks for the encouragement!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #11 of 16

I found 2 on CC that when I first started I figured I try then move on. WELL...they turned out to be excellent and I haven't tried any others!

Gabes Satin Vanilla bean Buttercream Frosting & My Chocolate Buttercream

Enjoy!

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #12 of 16

i actually really like martha stewarts SMBC its delicious and super easy to make. don't worry about the egg whites! It's the yolk that people need to worry about when raw, the whites are just fine.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 16

How strange is this!
Ijust PM indydebi to ask her about her BC receipe. I too am looking for a great tasting and good crusting BC.
The gabe satin vanilla one sounds awesome, but I can't find the receipe, do you have the link?
Good luck with your search.

Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 16

Oh, yeah! I hardly ever think about chocolate when I think about buttercream, but the "My Chocolate Buttercream recipe" on here is the BEST chocolate icing I've ever had and the only one I use when I need a chocolate-covered cake.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 16

Sugarshack's recipe all the way!! It's easy, tasty and holds up VERY well! thumbs_up.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I know in my heart of hearts you're right cylstrial, so I promise I will when I get a chance (although that might not happen until sometime in 2014 at the rate my schedule is running lately icon_cry.gif ). Thanks for the encouragement!

Ditto...i'm willing to try, but i need a thermometer and some peace and quiet around the house, or mine will burn up. Right when the temp is perfect, someone will scream "Mommy!" or need a diaper changed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%