Wasc From Scratch?

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 2:49am by CarrieBear

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 5

A long time ago there was a debate on mix vs scratch and someone posted a recipe for a home made "mix". She said she make the mixes then bags them and then adds the rest of the ingredients later. Any one know what I am talking about?
I always use a variation of the WASC and i want to try baking from scratch but everything i try is dry. and does not hold up as long. Any ideas.
thanks

4 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

bump! I bake from scratch and havn't tried this WASC before so would be interested to know icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 5

That doesn't really make much sence because it's the sour cream that keeps the cake moist. My WASC cakes turn out moist. Interesting to hear some other opinions on what you can try.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

I know user 'sayhellojana'
uses this scratch version just like a wasc

Scratch Version (yellow cake)-seriouscakes recipe

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. milk

you can subsitute the liquid part for anything else like you would with a wasc, it sounds like she uses this just like a wasc. i have been meaning to try it because I also want to find a scratch recipe that i can adapt like a wasc, i dont want to always be dependent on using a box in my cakes.
i was going to try this reicpe then throw in sourcream or flavored yogurt and dry pudding like i do to a wasc, i havent gotten a chance.
good luck. hth.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

I know user 'sayhellojana'
uses this scratch version just like a wasc

Scratch Version (yellow cake)-seriouscakes recipe

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. milk

you can subsitute the liquid part for anything else like you would with a wasc, it sounds like she uses this just like a wasc. i have been meaning to try it because I also want to find a scratch recipe that i can adapt like a wasc, i dont want to always be dependent on using a box in my cakes.
i was going to try this reicpe then throw in sourcream or flavored yogurt and dry pudding like i do to a wasc, i havent gotten a chance.
good luck. hth.

heres the youtube video

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%