Shared Commercial Kitchen ?'s

Business By CakeandDazzle Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm by Mabma80

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone rent a kitchen for their buisness, and can you give me some sort of information on how it works? I know i will need to get a buisness license, but what else and is this a good deal?

1st Shift (5am-3pm)- M-F- $12/hour
2nd Shift (3-11pm)- M-F- $11/hour
3rd Shift (11-5am)- M-F- $10/hour
Weekends- $10/hour

it is about 25 minutes from my home.

If I do rent a kitchen can I still bake my cakes at home with proper inspection (NY can sell no hazardous foods from home) then just fill frost and decorate from there?

Please any help advice on this topic would be very much appreciated!

6 replies
Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

I just found this out about Minnesota too! I'd like to know also!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 7

I guess you would just have to add up how long it takes you to make a cake from start to finish.

For example, let's say it takes you 10 hours. So with the $12/hr, that's $120 in rent. Plus supplies for the cake. What about the water and electricity? Is that included in the $12/hr? And don't forget your time.

How much money would you charge for the cake? If it's a cake that's going to cost you $500, then you're going to make some money off of it. But if it's a $100 cake, you're going to be in the hole.

You'll have to play with your numbers, because you will know how long it takes you to make a cake. (Some people are faster than others).

You might just have to set a minimum cake order amount.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

I am renting one in the interim. (just to give you background...I have a location....but no money to finish it out yet, slowly working on it.)

Anyway, those are all good rates, some places are as high as $20/ hr. So you should lock that in if you can.
The kitchen I use plans the calendar 1-2 months out, and books it that way. Although I think they should use google calendar to make it easier for everyone and so we could all see the schedule...but I digress.

A minimum order is your best bet, or work your butt off to book a lot of small cakes on one day. To best maximize your time. If you could have a helper with you, even better. If you are doing weddings, you will want to make sure you can get the times that you need.
Myself, I paid a deposit equivalent to 30 hours or something like that, to get the food license. I haven't used the kitchen yet because I haven't taken any orders. It might seem like a waste of money to some, but did that so I could focus on doing heavy marketing and advertising and drum up business for 2010, and to earn the funds for my finish out.

Anyway, look at the rental as a means to your end. What's the ultimate goal for you and will renting help you get there? Or will you be in this "limbo" for an indefinite amount of time?

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

When I checked into this in Michigan I was told everything had to be done in the legal kitchen. My supplies had to go from store to kitchen. Nothing could come from home.

Mabma80 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 7

Anybody know of any in MN??

Mabma80 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 7

Anybody know of any in MN??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%