Need Help For Wording On Gift Certificate For An Auction

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,
I need your help once again. I'm donating a little 6 inch cake and gift certificate for future cake for a local non-profit. I was wondering, those who have done this, what kind of cake do you normally donate? Do you use any specific wording on gift certificate, especially the limitatons, i.e. how long it's good for, length of notice, type of cake, number of servings, etc...?
Anyone cares to share their ideas?
TIA, P

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 10

There's a thread about this in the archives, but it was so long ago that goodness only knows where it is.

The opinions/advice I remember were as follows -

Limit size
Limit flavors - basic flavors, BC filling
Limit decorations - top/bottom border, message, a few piped flowers
Limit time to be used (I think 1 year was the concensus)

One person suggested that the person call it a basic birthday cake.

Another person mentioned that the certificate be for a dollar amount, toward the purchase of any size cake. That way the winner is not limited to a birthday cake, but could put it toward an event cake, too.

Let us know how yours turns out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 10

I have done this a few times. Put a realistic time limit on the offer, usually 6 months. (after that they dont remember where the darn thing is) Using a dollar amount is best. Gives the recipient more options to choose what they want/need for an occasion. If you have a general price list and or brochure about your work, I would include that with the GC. I have gotten a lot of positive results by doing this. Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 10

"$xx.xx toward the purchase of a cake at blah blah bakery"

Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 10

Thanks you all, there is only one problem with $ amount... I don't charge.. this is just for fun, so I really don't want to make a simple sheetcake as a result of it, I'd rather do something else. Would it be okay to say that it's good for a tiered cake to feed upto 40? Would it be okay to request at least 2 week notice or state that it's upto baker's availability?
P

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for this thread i am just about to do up a GC for this weekend for a silent auction cake! Great tips thanks!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #7 of 10

Pebbles.. it would be just fine to specify whatever kind of cake you are willing to offer. Setting a limit. A cake to feed up to 30-40-50...etc whatever fits. I think asking for advance notice is good. Keep the actual certificate simple, but be very clear with the specifics when the person contacts you after the auction.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 10

Remember that we go by cutting charts - cake muggles don't. What we perceive as a cake that will feed 40 people may look small to someone who is not in the know. Maybe you should say "a sheet cake that will feed _____? Or say a quarter-sheet or half-sheet cake on the certificate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 10

I put a limit of a year and specified the number of servings, 25.
I also put a note on how early to order (i.e. a couple weeks before)
I made a full page flyer for it.
the top protion was the 'certificate'
the bottom portion was more promotional including photos, flavors, and servings sizes.
I've done a few now, and it's worked out pretty well.
LL

Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much Jen! That's exactly what I was thinking too with the photos of some of my work. Even though I'm adding a 6 inch cake for the people to take home with them after auction, it's not going to be major decorating project, more of taste tester for them.
Thanks again, that is perfect! Thanks to everyone for all your great suggestgions,
P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%