Bad Wedding Cake Review. Help!!

Decorating By soccermom17 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm by soccermom17

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #31 of 38

So glad that things worked out for you.

If you CAN get the SPS stuff for this weekend, great, but if not, seriously look at the Wilton plates. I charge an extra $15 per wedding cake, and then it's built into the cost of the cake. If you don't get it back, no biggie.

you do beautiful work, and now that it will be properly supported you will be even more confident!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #32 of 38

It was refreshing to hear about a nice bride for a change. Glad it worked out well.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #33 of 38

I hear of the SPS all of the time and have seen them used once. I just wish there was a more reliable method for those of us who cannot afford to spend that kind of money. I have the WIlton cake system with the center pilar and plates that hold each tier. I have had no issues with it I just dont like transporting the cake with the legs on those plates.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #34 of 38

I'm glad that you got the situation taken care of! Good luck with the 5 wedding cakes. That's a ton!!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #35 of 38

LOL! Cutthecake, I thought the same thing about the KA mixer until I enlarged the pic. Michelle, your cake was beautiful and you obviously have caking skills! Your cake tier which is second from the bottom is bulging probably because of the cake settling hence the tilting of the entire cake. Do you fill your cakes and then let them settle for a while before covering with fondant and THEN dowel? This is a very important step to do in order to avoid these issues along with cutting the dowels correctly. Also, SPS is a wonderful system. I highly recommend it. Glad the meeting went well. I know the feeling. Before I learned about the SPS system, I used wooden dowels and cardboard rounds and had a similar incident on one of my tiered cakes. I ended up giving the wonderfully sweet Mother of the Bride a percentage of her money back. Bless her heart, most of the wedding/reception went the same way but they just laughed at all the things that went wrong and bride and groom went on a much deserved honeymoon in Hawaii. BTW, when I use raspberry filling (which is alot) I mix it with buttercream first and then fill the cake with the mixture. HTH. Happy caking! Deep cleansing breaths!!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:31am
post #36 of 38

cutthecake, diane706. too funny about the halo helmet. i can totally see that!! LOL Now i know how to do a KA mixer and didn't even know it! Diane706, my friend the decorator, said the same thing regarding covering the cake, filling, etc. so I'm going to start earlier. fri night i filled, iced and covered the cakes, diamond imprint. once that was done I dowled the cakes to be "ahead" of the game. i see i should be starting to do that on thursday to give them time to settle and all that good stuff. i'm starting the baking in the morning and will need to light a fire under my helper so we can get most of the baking done tomorrow. i'd better get off to bed. 5:30 will come early. i want to be able to take the kids to the library, etc. it's hard having them on summer break. ah, so is the life of a mom/parent!
night everyone.
I love cake central!
-Michelle

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #37 of 38

Michelle,

There is another thread going - I think it was from leahs, but I'll look for it - about putting a tile on top of your filled cake to get everything firmed up and level. It sounds like it would really help me because I tend to have a problem getting things perfectly level. Maybe it would be helpful to you too. I'll find it and add it ....

Here it is ... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

HTH!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #38 of 38

thants mbt4955, i'm going to look at it now!
-michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%