Ganache Help

Decorating By mysweetconfetions Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 9:36am by pumpkinroses

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 6

I have never used ganache and really want to try it on the cake I'm doing tomorrow. What kind of chocolate is the best to use? chips, almond bark, hersey's candy bars? I don't have a clue. Can I use part of it unwhipped under fondant then whip the rest for filling? I know it can't be as hard as I'm making it so any help I get is really appreciated.

5 replies
mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

PLEASE?????? icon_cry.gif

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

I have used all kids of chocolate, it really depends on what taste your going for. Definately not almond bark. Most of the time I use milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chips. You can use it for under the fondant and whip it for the filling. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 6

Hello...
Use a chocolate morsel It can be dark, milk, or white. For my recipe, I use 1 1/4 cups of the morsels. I heat 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream, just until it softly boils. Don't let it scorch. Pour it over the morsels, and let it set up to a minute. Using only a whisk mix it until smooth.

It will be thin when it's first done. Give it a short amount of time to cool some, then pour it directly onto the cake, beginning at the center, letting it flow down. (put wax paper all around the bottom tier to catch the drippings!) Spread it with a spatula if you need to, when you first pour it, but once it begins to set, don't touch it, or you will ruin the set/shiny finish to it.

You can let it set until it's thicker, and use it as a filling for your cake, or whip it up fluffier, and do the same thing. You can also let it set further, and use it for truffles. HTH!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:25am
post #5 of 6

I've used big blocks of chocolate and morsels.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:36am
post #6 of 6

I just used a Dark Chocolate Hershey Bar yesterday to make a Ganache Buttercream. I've never tried just pouring it onto the cake though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%