Need A Strawberry Cake From Scratch Recipe

Baking By notjustcake Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 7:41am by nrsanna

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Ladies, I will be making a 3 layered neopolitan cake and I'm in need of a good light strawberry recipe from scratch. I have found many doctored recipes to have gelatin in it and I do not want to use that, since I will be serving this cake to a large number of ppl.

By light I mean not too rich since I do not want to over power my wasc & milk chocolate layers.

Thank in advance

14 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 15

i've seen some recipes on allrecipes.com for Strawberry Cake (made from scratch) but, as you mentioned, they all required strawberry gelatin in the recipe.

How about testing the recipe without the gelatin? Maybe puree the fresh or frozen strawberries and add them to your favourite vanilla cake recipe?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't tried this one yet, but there's not gelatin in it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Dream-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 15

Try this one. It doesn't use gelatine. http://www.grouprecipes.com/41354/fresh-strawberry-cake.html.

It is a Paula Deen recipe that uses fresh pureed berries and a small amount of strawberry extract. Unfortunately, the cake isn't a very pretty color--the pink has a brown hue to it, but it tastes good. You don't have to use the strawberry cream cheese icing that it calls for. I made it with strawberry buttercream. HTH.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 15

I wonder if it's impossible to achieve a good strawberry cake without gelatin, I just think gelatin is gross

kate6207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate6207 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcake

I wonder if it's impossible to achieve a good strawberry cake without gelatin, I just think gelatin is gross

I think you are right. I also been trying to find a good recipe for strawberry cake that doesn't use gelatin but haven't been successful either. I followed a similar thread in another baking forum and they didn't seem to have much luck replicating the strawberry flavor of the gelatin cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 15

I just did a cake for my daughters graduation. It is not overpowering at all. I don't like strawberry cake but this is wonderful!

It is the WASC but remove the almond. Then instead of water take fresh strawberries. Cut them up and put them in a ziploc bag with a little sugar. Set this in a warm spot until the juices come out of the strawberries. Then put them in a blender and liquify them. Use this as to replace the water. Everything else is the same. It is wonderful!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 15

seriously I'm not trying to stir anything up
I am just interested.
How come such a strong aversion to gelatin??
is it a vegetarianism, religious or taste issue??

I'm just wondering cause I love jello.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

I am just interested.

I love Jello too but I don't like it in my cake. I think personally it is too sweet and has an artifical taste. I love fresh tastes. But jello alone....MMmmmmm MMmmmm MMmmmm

kate6207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate6207 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

I am just interested.

I love Jello too but I don't like it in my cake. I think personally it is too sweet and has an artifical taste. I love fresh tastes. But jello alone....MMmmmmm MMmmmm MMmmmm

That is pretty much my reason as well.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 15

Last year I made a completely from scratch strawberry cake and ended up adding food coloring to make it pink (batter was kind of gray). Additionally, the flavor was so light it was hard to tell it was straberry. This yearI used a strawberry version of the WASC that does not use gelatin, instead it uses strawberry daquiri mix. It is not totally from scratch, but pretty close with all the extras in it. It makes a nice strawberry flavored cake, that is a pretty light pink color. I made it this last week for my nieces birthday this weekend.

a BIG thank you to MacsMom for this receipe

Strawberry WASC variation - MacsMom
2 white cake mixes
2 c sugar (I would cut this down to one cup sugar)
2 c flour
1-1/2 t salt
1 1/3 c strawberry daquiri drink mix (I used the frozen kind and one container was exactly the right amount, thawed)
1 1/3 c water
2 c sour cream
8 egg whites
1/4 c oil
2 tsp strawberry extract or 1 dram LoRann strawberry
2 tsp vanilla (I just used all vanilla for this part, and it worked great! I did not think it needed the extra extract)

Combine the dry (I sift them). Then add all the wet and mix until just blended.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 15

Here is a blogger who was also trying to find a scratch strawberry cake with no gelatin. Here is the recipe she came up with...

http://adashofsass.com/2009/03/01/homemade-strawberry-cake

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks sooo much for the recipe, maryjsgirl icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you, too, AsimpleBaker but I try to be an exclusively from scratch baker. Even though your recipe is almost like scratch. It looks yummy, though. Said in friendship icon_smile.gif

tambry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tambry Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 15

This cake is a FABULOUS! It does have real pureed strawberries and a package of gelatin it works. Great texture. A++++ recipe!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1278-Strawberries-and-Cream-Cake.html

nrsanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrsanna Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:41am
post #15 of 15

Ditto on the Strawberries and Cream cake recipe from previous poster. The filling for me was take it or leave it- but cake was FABULOUS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%