I Need Advice On An Item I Just Ordered Online...

Decorating By starryskyhearts Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm by cblupe

starryskyhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starryskyhearts Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone or has anyone ever used the Wilton Trim N Turn Plus? I ordered it but then saw a bad review about it. I don't have the money right now for the Wilton Trim N Turn Ultra, so I settled for this one. Is it a good product, bad product, alright temporarily until I can upgrade?

Also, what items would you recommend I have? I've already purchased tips and bags for decorating (including couplers and rings, and I believe Flower Nails), a turntable, a caddy to hold everything in. I will be buying a cake spatula next time I'm out shopping. Is there anything else I may need?
As always, thanks to everyone who read this, and thanks even more to those who reply!

10 replies
CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:12am
post #2 of 11

I don't know what to tell you about the turn table, since I haven't used it. I've been doing cakes a little over a year and have taught Wilton classes, and the only turn table I have is the cheapest one Wilton offers icon_smile.gif. It has worked fine for me.
As a Wilton Instructor, I would go over all kinds of Wilton products with my students and let them know what they absolutely had to have, what would make their decorating easier and what was a waste of money. One of the items you didn't mention that I think is so worth the money is Wilton's bake even strips. I didn't get them until I started teaching, but now I won't bake without them. The other item I noticed you didn't list was the flower lifter. It's not necessary, but it helps. And don't forget your icing colors.
Good luck!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #3 of 11

I have that turntable and it gets the job done just fine. I can't say what is a "have to have" item. I can say that I have purchased soooo many decorating supplies just because I thought I needed them and in the end they were kinda worthless. Cake decorating is quite expensive and you should make sure the things you purchase...you will use.

Now that I think about it...I couldn't live without my TURNTABLE LOL...

starryskyhearts Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

I have that turntable and it gets the job done just fine. I can't say what is a "have to have" item. I can say that I have purchased soooo many decorating supplies just because I thought I needed them and in the end they were kinda worthless. Cake decorating is quite expensive and you should make sure the things you purchase...you will use.

Now that I think about it...I couldn't live without my TURNTABLE LOL...

You've never had any problems with it? It's relieving that I got an answer, lol. Thank you so much!

CakesbyBecca - I added you on Yahoo messenger, I'd like to talk to you more

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:52am
post #5 of 11

Nope no problem at all with it. It was the first turntable I purchased and even though I have 3 others...I still use that one the most

starryskyhearts Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:55am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Nope no problem at all with it. It was the first turntable I purchased and even though I have 3 others...I still use that one the most

Well thank you so very much!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #7 of 11

do you have a fondant smoother? Have to have that!

starryskyhearts Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I don't, but I don't really want to work with fondant. I won't rule out the option, but I want to focus more on traditional frosting decorating.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryskyhearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I don't, but I don't really want to work with fondant. I won't rule out the option, but I want to focus more on traditional frosting decorating.

I actually don't use my fondant smoother for fondant, I use it for buttercream only! Works great to get a smooth surface. HTH icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 11

I have the Wilton Trim N Turn Plus and haven't had any problems with it. The only thing that I make sure to do is to put a little square of the rubberized shelf liner (you can buy it at Walmart) under the cake. That keeps the cake board from moving around on the turntable while I am decorating.

I also have the Tilting Cake Turntable which I use all the time as well. Don't use it for tilting though because I like to keep my cakes level while working on them.

I use both of these turntables all the time and cannot do without them. I buy supplies like these at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or A. C. Moore using their coupons. When you can get a $70 item for 1/2 price, it takes some of the sting out of the costs icon_smile.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 11

I also taught the Wilton classes and have to suggest the cake leveler. I bake my cakes in the 3 x 8 pans and love to use the leveler on this cake. I also use the bake even strips, they work great and you will love them. I also bake this cake with my flower nail so that the center of the cake gets done at the same time as the outside of the cake. cb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%