Non-Refrigerated Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By bbstephan Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm by sweetsbyl

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #1 of 3

Does anyone have a recipe for cream cheese icing that does not require refrigeration and does not have shortening in it? I won't use shortening in any of my cakes/icing...I've heard of a cake filling that using cream cheese pudding mix- was wondering if anyone has ever made an icing with it...I'd like to use a cream cheese icing for a red velvet cake that is to be covered in fondant (thus the need for an icing not needing to be refrigerated). Any advice? Thanks!

2 replies
bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 3

Okay, so the other threads on here say that the recipe by Earlene (which has shortening in it) does not need to be refrigerated. Does white chocolate have the same amount of transfat in it as shortening and thus could be used as a replacement?

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 3

Here is the one that I use. I don't remember where I got it; I thought it was Earlene's but it isn't.
I copied this word by word but I didn't write down where I got it from and I don't remember.

Hope this helps!

Cream Cheese Filling
Makes 3 cups

10 Tbsp softened butter (1.25 sticks)
2 8 ounce packages of regular cream cheese, not the light kind, let warm at room temperature for awhile
4 tsp. vanilla extract
8 cups of sifted powdered (icing) sugar 2lbs

Whip butter until fluffy. Add cream cheese and whip until well blended. Add vanilla and icing sugar and whip until well mixed. Remember to place a stiff buttercream bead around the outside rim of the cake so cream cheese filling won't seep through the sides.

If you are not covering with fondant, this cake can be refrigerated if desired. It keeps well either way but seal in a container. I make it as early as the Wednesday before a Saturday wedding and seal the cake with apricot glaze. I make the cream cheese filling and fill the cake the day before the wedding, but for home use I find it keeps well days ahead. The unfilled cake also freezes well and can be made up to 6 weeks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%