Can I Get Some Honest Feed Back And Advice? (Fondant People)

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 11:32am by 1234me

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 12

I'm making a joint birthday cake for my husband, dad, and uncle. The idea is that it will be a boat (3D) on a flat (maybe 9x13) cake that is decorated like the ocean. My 'dad' will be a FBT of him scuba diving on the cake and my 'uncle' and 'husband' as 3D fondant/gumpaste figures fishing off of the back of the boat. I made the figures last night (first attempt at full figures) and I was reasonably happy with them...not perfect but not bad either. My DH however, thinks that I need to redo them. He is usually my biggest critic but often times, he is the only one who will be honest (not just smile and say that it's great even when it isn't). So, can I have some honest (I can take it...and I have plenty of time to remake them) critique and/or advice for future people. Thank you!

I'm sorry the pics are so dark but I had to turn off the flash or it was so bright that you couldn't see details. Also, my uncle is holding a fishing pole and my DH is holding a fishing yo-yo (in case you aren't familiar with them or in case it wasn't recognizable)
LL
LL
LL
LL

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 12

I think they're really cute. The expression on the faces are great too. Just tell your husband it's hard to sculpt muscles out of fondant icon_biggrin.gif

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 12

HONESTLY I THINK THEY ARENT BAD AT ALL...BETTER THEN I COULD DO.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 12

here is the tutorial I watched on the faces...her's are better but she's been doing it longer icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 12

I think you did a great job on them and if this was your first time then I cant wait to see your 10th or 15th time around. They are great.

The only thing I would have done is the figure with the fishing pole, he looks like he is praying instead of holding the pole.

I would open up the hands and put the pole in them and wrap the hands around it to secure it.

You did a fantastic job regardless of what me or DH thinks, your a natural at figures!

Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 12

They look really good.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:11am
post #7 of 12

I have to tell you, they look really nice. The heads/faces/expressions are PERFECT! I would not change a thing.

I honestly can't sculpt as nice as you but if I were to suggest an alteration, maybe try to give the body some proportion.

But I still think the figures look done. They are nice.

merrywood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merrywood Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:08am
post #8 of 12

I think they're very good - first time or not. Could you make the pole a little bit thinner and a lot shorter and then add string or something that looks like fishing line? It's wonderful when someone makes a celebration cake that incorporates the interests of the celebrator!

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:19am
post #9 of 12

merrywood said exactly what I was going to say! Great minds think alike, i guess, LOL! Everything looks pretty good- faces look really goood! but when i saw the fishing pole, all i could think was "Mama, look at my wee-wee!" (Why 3 and 6yo boys are so proud is beyond me!!!)

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:40am
post #10 of 12

rharris524
Thanks for that link on how to make faces.......very interesting!!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:41am
post #11 of 12

I think they are great! I was suggest fishing line being added for reasons already mentioned...(blush). As far as the people go, I wouldn't hesitate to put those proudly on a cake. I have no talent for sculpting people. If this is your first attempt, I can't wait to see what you will sculpt with more practice! Keep your head up and your spirits high! I think you have done a great job!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:32am
post #12 of 12

I think you did an excellent job. I would wrap the hands around the fishing pole.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%