20 Quart Mixers

Business By fsinger84 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm by Loucinda

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 14

I am looking at buying a 20 quart mixer. I was wondering how much batter you can mix at a time in one this large? I am looking for a mixer that can mix enough batter for four dozen cupcakes at a time (total of 4icon_cool.gif minimum. How much would you pay for a used 20 quart mixer. I will be going to an auction in a few weeks so any input/advice is appreciated.

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 14

I have a 20 qt and a week or so ago, I mixed up 12 cake mixes and had a little room left over. 48 cupcakes is what, 2? 4? mixes? You'll have plenty of room!

As far as price, I'd look on ebay just to get an idea of what they are selling for on there. At least it will give you a ballpark. Also check various websites to see what a brand new one sells for. I mean, if they're selling on ebay for $1200 and a brand new one is $1500 (just pulling numbers out of the air for a for-instance), then just go with the extra $300 for a brand new one.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 14

Doing in bulk is awesome. haha.

Right now I use my home kitchen. BUT I have two 6 qt mixers (each one easily mixing 3 cake mixes which is 6 dozen cupcakes each). And I also recently bought a Samsung stove/oven but the capacity is one of the largest for a home oven, and I have three racks in there which really helps me ALOT. Plus the interior is a couple inches wider than regular ovens too.

For just home baking, I find this arrangement to be pretty good for now.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 14

A 20 qt mixer is HUGE for your needs... I think a 600 pro or a 7 qt cuisinart would be more than enough mixer for your mixing needs. A 10 qt might even be good (better for mixing up a good amount of icing). Truth be told, a mixer that large won't be as good as one that will fit your batter nicely.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 14

Or even 2-3 six quart mixers...that way you can make all the same cake batter, or you can make several different ones at one time.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 14

I mix up 3-4 batches at a time...I start out with a 5 qt mixer for the creaming and the addition of the eggs. Then, transfer that into a huge bowl for the dry and liquid additions using the hand mixer.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 14

I agree with you Suzy... I have no need to mix up 20 qts of the same flavor. I'd love a biggun for icing... but for batter, the 6 qts are more than enough. icon_smile.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:22am
post #8 of 14

Me too. I use the 20 qt for icing and the 6 qt for mixes. I never have enough to use the big mixer in all one flavor.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 14

Well, when you're making 4-7 wedding cakes, there will be a lot of the same flavor in all those tiers. And that's when the big mixer comes in handy. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 14

I totally agree....wasn't sure if she had a bakery or house...I can't do that many weddings in one week with my kitchen and four boys. haha.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 14

OK - I am on the fence with this one.....I have an option to buy a 20 qt. hobart right now - I don't really need one that big - BUT I am hoping my business will be at a point where one would be nice ( a year or 2 down the road??)

I just did a wedding yesterday 4 tier - bottom being 16" - I know I could've mixed that all at once instead of using my 6 qt. several times....and I the icing - I made up 4 batches in my KA for all that wedding and the other cakes I had this week.

My question is do you think I would be silly to buy this now (even though I only do 2 weddings a month right now) or should I just hold off? I need the experts opinion on this.......(TIA)

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 14

I'd say if you have the money, to buy it. It will save you time and that saves you money and increases your profit eventually.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 14

You can do the batter for 4 dozen cupcakes in a 5 quart KA. Each normal batter (same size as 1 cake mix) does about 2 dozen cuppys. I can mix 2 full mixes in my KA at one time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

I am sorry for trying to hi-jack the post, I made my own, (and thanks kitagirl!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%