Bitter Black Icing Taste

Baking By sandy1 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:36am by TracyLH

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I love outlining my cookies in black. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the bitter taste?????
Sandy

10 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 11

What are you outlining them with? I make my black from chocolate buttercream and it hasn't ever been bitter ...

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 11

I use Americolor super black for my coloring and never have a bitter taste. You don't need much black coloring with this brand.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 11

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif AMERICOLOR!!!!

sandy1 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 11

I use the RI recipe from Let's Bake Cookies.

sandy1 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 11

I use Wilton black icing color. Where can I purchase AMERICOLOR?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 11

Global sugar art has it, but the cheapest place I've found is www.intotheoven.com Love the super red also, that's the only company I get red and black from.

sandy1 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 11

Here is something I do that really helps with that. Antonia74s to start with (I swear by that icing!). Then I add dark cocoa (I use Hersheys Special Dark) to get it about medium brown-ish (tip from SweetDreamsAT). I then add Americolor Super Black, but not as black as I will need it to be in the end as I let it sit overnight to deepen. it will get even darker over a second day. This way you use less black coloring and the cocoa adds a nice flavor, if that is something that works with your base cookie flavor. I just did this on pirate flags done on sugar cookies and they were a hit. Hope this helps!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Here is something I do that really helps with that. Antonia74s to start with (I swear by that icing!). Then I add dark cocoa (I use Hersheys Special Dark) to get it about medium brown-ish (tip from SweetDreamsAT). I then add Americolor Super Black, but not as black as I will need it to be in the end as I let it sit overnight to deepen. it will get even darker over a second day. This way you use less black coloring and the cocoa adds a nice flavor, if that is something that works with your base cookie flavor. I just did this on pirate flags done on sugar cookies and they were a hit. Hope this helps!

I do this too (except I mix the cocoa and a little water into a slurry and use that to thin the RI) - and everyone loves the black icing because it tastes like chocolate!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 11

Brilliant! I wasn't even thinking! icon_confused.gif Great idea as that will keep the lumps down and less to run through the stocking! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%