Logistics Question

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm by indydebi

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 10

I am torting and crumb-coating my practice wedding cake tiers, and was wondering when you all get your cakes on their permanent cake boards? Would I do that now, before or after crumb-coat?

Then, would you dowel/stack them before doing your final icing coat, or do each tier with their finish coat before stacking?

Thanks!

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 10

I crumb coat, put on the final coat, then put it on the final cake board. I do each tier and then stack at the end. Hope this helps. I don't know if other people do their boards this way or not.

You could crumb coat, put it on the final cake board, and then put the final coat on. But I would definitely do the rest of the tiers before you stack them. That would be so hard to put the final coat on while it's already stacked.

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 10

I see--I guess yes, I couldn't final-frost after stacking!! icon_redface.gif

Also, how do you get your finished tier on the disc without ruining it!!?? Do you have a special tool!? I wish I had a giant metal pizza spatula!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 10

SPS for the support system. It allows you to slide (you read that right) your upper tiers into place.

cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I see--I guess yes, I couldn't final-frost after stacking!! icon_redface.gif

Maybe you can! I have never done it. I just think that it would be extremely hard to do it that way. I just can't fathom doing it that way. But if it works for you, then do it!

Also, how do you get your finished tier on the disc without ruining it!!?? Do you have a special tool!? I wish I had a giant metal pizza spatula!

Well I bought the SPS system that Leah is talking about and I've been practicing with it and it is a lot easier. But what I have always done in the past, is use a giant butcher knifer that is thin. I slide the cake all the way up to the base and then put my hand under the cake (once I can get my hand under it) and then I go to where I need to stack it and I lay one edge of the cake down. Then I lower the knife and when it's about an inch or maybe just a half inch, I yank the knife out super quick. (When I yank the knife out, there is not much knife under the cake). So at first the entire knife is under the cake and then as I lower the cake, I start to withdrawl the knife. I hope this makes sense. Anyway, it has always worked for me. I haven't ever had damage to the sides of the cake or anything.

Just make sure that the cake you are lifting is sitting right next to the cake that you are going to stack it on. And be very careful. You have to make it balance. The widest part of the knife is probably 3 inches wide.

I don't know what other people do. This is just what has worked for me in the past. It really is like the pizza thing you were talking, just much smaller.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 10

Wilton makes a metal cake lifter and it looks liek a big pizza spatula like you're talking about. You can use it for up to a 14" cake. I used it to lift my 14" square tiers onto each other. It just slides under the layer, then lift it up and slide it off onto the cake, or board or whatever.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 10

I actually do most of mine on the final cake board. Otherwise, the cake lifter that bbmom is talking about is good. It's Wilton's new line of baking supplies.

lrlt2000 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 10

Thank you all! I guess I have some shopping to do!! icon_razz.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks BBMom as well. I'll have to check it out myself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 10

I put the naked cake right on the board and do all of the filling, coating, icing, decorating on one board. It never occured to me to work on a cake and THEN move it to a board. I can't imagine. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%