Help! Why Are My Whipped Fillings Doing This?

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm by mclaren

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 3

I am relatively new to cake decorating and very new to trying out different fillings for my cakes. The last cake I made was to have a whipped chocolate ganache filling and the cake I'm currently working on has a peanut butter filling with whipping cream in it. Each time the recipe called for whipping the cream to stiff peaks, then adding the other stuff and mixing until smooth and creamy. The problem is, when I add the other stuff the mixture becomes clumpy and soupy. Tastes fine, ingredients are fresh and of decent quality. Why is it doing this? I'm trying to chill it again and see if it will rewhip, but I doubt it. This will in no way work for a filling. Ugh!!! Thanks in advance for any insight into this. I don't want to keep doing this.

2 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 3

Straight whipped cream is pretty fragile... when adding other stuff to it you have to do it somewhat gently by folding. Take about 1/3 of your stiff shipped cream and fold it into the second mixture to lighten in, then add the rest of the whipped cream in 1-2 additions, folding gently until just combined. Don't mixx it like you're stirring up a batter or you'll deflate all of the lovely air bubbles you created when you whipped the cream!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 3

may i join in the discussion? icon_razz.gif

pinkziab, i've never added any other ingredients to my whipped cream before, but am attempting that, tomorrow.

i'm gonna have whipped cream with melted white choc added, and also whipped cream with cocoa added.

other than first mixing gently 1/3 and later adding that into the whipped cream, will it work if we add the "add-ons" before whipping the cream? just wondering. sorry, if my question sounds stupid..

thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%