Is Wilton's Gum Tex The Same As Tylose Powder?

Decorating By kara76 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm by momma28

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 13

I have some of wilton's gum tex and I was wondering if I added it to fondant would it act the same as tylose powder??

12 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 13

I am not sure, but I mix my gum tex, with fondant to make flowers. Let's see what others say, Here a bump

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 13

I haven't used tylose powder but gum tex is what I use to mix with fondant when I am making figures, flowers etc. HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 13

The difference between tylose and gum-tex is the color and smell. Tylose is pure white and doesn't have an odor. It works fine to add gum-tex to fondant though.

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 13

Thanks everyone! Kinda what I figured but wanted to be sure icon_smile.gif

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 13

can anyone tell me, please, can i substitute gum-tex for tylose 1:1? i know some gums are "stronger" than others, so i want to get the substitution right. thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 13

I don't think the gum tex dries the fondant like the tylose. I tried gum tex and the back said its used to make gumpaste more pliable. I could not tell that it stiffened my fondant like the tylose. Definitely go with tylose, IMO.

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 13

i was afraid of that-- i'll have to order. oh well, another excuse to add to my toys! thank you! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 13

I use gum-tex all the time. It does harden fondant and make it dry quicker. I have used it for flowers as well as figures.

I can't help with the ratio, since I never measure it.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #10 of 13

I haven't had good luck with gum tex at all. Mind you, I was really just starting out last summer when using it. I didn't like the gum tex gum paste recipe and now that I have tylose, I prefer it way more than gum tex. I didn't notice any difference at all when adding gum tex to fondant. Maybe I will give it another try that I know a little more of what I'm looking for and doing before I say that I absolutely hate gum tex!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #11 of 13

adding 1tsp. of gumtex to 12 oz of fondant.. makes great flowers ,etc.. i use tylose also.. like that too. i use that when i make nick lodges recipe. i add tylose or gumtex to fondand to make gumpaste.. hth

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 13

Do both of these help the fondant/gumpaste dry faster?

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 13

I have tried adding gum tex to mmf and the results were a disaster. I guess it doesnt like to work with marshmallow because it became an unusable texture. I have made gumpaste with the gum tex recipe and that worked well for the sails on my pirate ship cake. Has anyone else had success mixing gum tex into mmf?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%