Runny Fondant. What Should I Do?

Decorating By Jen80 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm by woodruffbn

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 7

Hey guys,
I've been trying for weeks to get a price from my local bakery for fondant. In the end they gave me their suppliers number to find out myself. So I rang and asked and then I placed the order with the bakery. I had an option of normal or x-tra soft. I ordered the plain. A 15kg bucket (33 pounds)!!! So, today I went to see if it had arrived (they didn't ring to let me know it was there, I don't know how long it had been sitting there and I really needed it). They had the x-tra soft one there for me. I told them that I had ordered the plain one but I would try it. I've just opened it and it's all runny!! I gave it a stir and it's the same all the way down to the bottom. I don't think I will be able to return it because it had a security seal on it. So what can I do with it?

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #2 of 7

Sadly, you weren't sold rolled fondant. They sold you fondant icing--the stuff you drizzle on donuts and bundt cakes or use as a filling for chocolate covered cherries.

It can't be made into rolled icing.

Given that you didn't get what you want, you could try to return it--or maybe the bakery can buy it from you--but in the end, they'll probably put the problem on you, saying that you didn't specify "rolled fondant".

Hope it all works out.
Rae

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #3 of 7

I think the confusion might also be around the fact that in Australia fondant is referred to as sugarpaste. Pouring fondant is what you were sold, as BlakesCakes said.

It's also probably why it took so much hassle to get it. Try calling them and asking for sugarpaste or even do a web search. I expect you will not have too much trouble finding it. I am in Sydney and loads of places sell it in bulk here (I buy 7 or 3 kg boxes).

Jen80 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys,
Looks like I'll be filling a few cherries. I don't think I'll even ask about returning it. It was hard enough to order it. I had found a great rolled fondant from an online store here in Aussie but I was trying to keep it local.

Jen80 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 7

Is it also what you would fill chocolates with? I've been thinking about getting into chocolate making as well. It would be great if that's the case. Even though it would take a lot of chocolates to use up 15kg.

Jen80 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

Don't ya just love small town gossip and friendliness? I normally don't like the gossiping, probably like so many of you, but it worked in my favor this time. The guy from the bakery heard on the grapevine that I had ordered the wrong thing, he then ordered me the right stuff (they call it Plastic Icing) without me asking. He let me know the other day while we were picking our kids up from school and he even offered me a full refund on the Fondant. Wasn't that nice!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 7

that's awesome! sadly there are very few people who would take it upon themselves to do such a nice thing like that (although really it was his job to make you, his customer happy). icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%