So Mad Bought Wilton Soccer 1/2 Ball No Template Included

Decorating By lizamlin Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 11:23am by lizamlin

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

icon_mad.gif grrr and icon_cry.gif wah! at the same time. I want to do fondant, not stars. The pan is indented with lines as guides for stars, but doesn't include the pent & hex pattern for fondant.

I guess I was a dunderhead to assume Wilton would be gracious and helpful enough to supply these. It *does* supply the pattern with the fully Round Sport Ball Set, but that pattern doesn't fit tthe 1/2 ball pan ?!?!

Someone save me? I did a search and found zippo. I know I'll just end up measuring each shape and making my own, but darn-it-all...I was hoping someone else already did the work!! lol

7 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

maybe you can take the cake and make the lines a bit more indented, then when you put the fondant on, it will sink in a little more in those areas, and you'll have a guide...it'll also emphasize or and define your hexagons more in the long run.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamlin

icon_mad.gif grrr and icon_cry.gif wah! at the same time. I want to do fondant, not stars. The pan is indented with lines as guides for stars, but doesn't include the pent & hex pattern for fondant.

I guess I was a dunderhead to assume Wilton would be gracious and helpful enough to supply these. It *does* supply the pattern with the fully Round Sport Ball Set, but that pattern doesn't fit tthe 1/2 ball pan ?!?!

Someone save me? I did a search and found zippo. I know I'll just end up measuring each shape and making my own, but darn-it-all...I was hoping someone else already did the work!! lol

Did you look in the Wilton's website? the other day I noticed they have a section of patterns you can download.
Good luck!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

Can you lay paper over the pan and trace?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 8

Here is the link to it on Wilton's site:
http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Soccer-Ball-Pan

They have all of their pans listed.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 8

How about laying fondant over the pan and pressing it to get the pattern?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 8

Whenever I buy a Wilton pan I toss the insert out and do my own thing icon_biggrin.gif because I can't stand looking at all of those stars.

I think I would just measure the lines on the pan and then use them to draw a pattern...or enlarge the one from the round ball pan and see if you can get it the right size that way, if you're not big on drawing.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #8 of 8

Thanks ladies - no luck so far, though. I had searched through Wilton before posting - the only pattern is the round ball 3D, but enlarging correctly was a total crap shoot - off in one area or another -- you know fondant -- seams need to be perfect. Spheres are just a pain in the @$$.

As I posted, "I know I'll just end up measuring each shape and making my own, but darn-it-all...I was hoping someone else already did the work!! lol" adding at least 40ish minutes to the whole process icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%