Letter And Number Toppers - Please Help

Decorating By juleeab Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm by juleeab

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have made a few letter and number toppers for my cakes. But the last cake I did I tried to make the number "20". The "0" done fine but the "2" was weak and all three I made just kept breaking. The first couple I did I hand rolled and put a small metal wire and let them dry and had OK success. But I have been trying to use my Sugarcraft Gun that I purchased from Global Sugar Art but the fondant comes out is so small in diameter that I can't really use a wire. Also, wire is only good if the letter or number doesn't have curves. I have only used fondant to make these. Does anyone have a better way for ALL letters and numbers? Should I use gumpast in my sugarcraft gun? I have a lot of request for letters and numbers but have yet to find a fool proof way of doing this.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the help in the past. I don't think I could have moved foward with my cake decorating if it wasn't for CC and some of the CC members YouTube tutorials. CC ROCKS!!

4 replies
juleeab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

The word that is blocked is S U G A R C R A F T. Also, want to clairfy that the success I have had with numbers were on other cakes, not the cake that needed a "20".

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 5

gumpaste would be better, or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, or fondant mixed with tylose powder.

juleeab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

gumpaste would be better, or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, or fondant mixed with tylose powder.

I have used fondant with tylose. Maybe I am using to much but it comes out of my gun a little "grainy"

juleeab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

Anyone else have any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%