Need To Know What You Think About

Decorating By 2SimplySweet Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm by playingwithsugar

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #1 of 13

Wilton vs Fatdaddios cake pans or Magic Line? Which one is the best and why? I need your help before I make the wrong decision and regret it.
Thank ladies I appreciate your input and expert advise.

12 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:13am
post #2 of 13

Fat Daddios or Magic Line.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:18am
post #3 of 13

I have all Wilton Pans only because I didn't know better when I started last year making cakes, I'm now in the process of replacing all my pans with Fat Daddios, they are a better quality pan, nice and heavy feeling compared to a tinny light feeling of Wilton, and they just bake nicer I rarely have to level any cakes no matter the size when using fat daddios ( I also bake at 250-275 that also helps reduce the hump).

Fat Daddios gets my vote.

I do have a few magic line pans very nice also, don't think you'd go worng with either honestly

Flowernail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowernail Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 13

I LOVE my fat daddios cause they are a good heavy gauge and have a nice crisp edge and not a real rounded edge like the wilton pans. wilton pans are also terribly light weight, and my bigger one dented permanently after baking with it.. not sure if it was affected by the heat? tho it is made to be put in the oven.. anyway. LUV LUV my fat daddios. i have a couple of small magic line pans and those are heavier too. the wilton pans are like holding nothing, no thickness to the metal at all and my cakes get darker in them than the magic line due to the thinner metal. I have found that with most wilton products I have purchased... you are just paying for the brand and not the quality of the product. sorry wilton.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:37am
post #5 of 13

Yep...I use the magic line but might buy some fat daddios this month up at Country Kitchen. I like the straight lines also. Wilton was good for just starting out because I didn't know any better but now that I do...there is a world of difference in them. Wilton pans are cheap and they show it by denting easily. Go with the better quality pans...you won't regret it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 13

I have magic line for all the squares and rectangles - I like the sharp edge it has - Fat Daddios for the rest of them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 13

I have all three..I like magic lines for the crisp straight edges on my squares and slabs....I have a few Fat Daddios for rounds and a few wilton rounds and lots of character cake pans is which what started me doing cakes!! I find them all workable...

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 13

I had all Wilton regular pans to start off with. A bit on the thinner side and easy to dent, but worked well for me for many years at least 10 plus before I decided to invest in "better quality". I bought a set of magic line and they seem to take longer to bake in. I bought Wilton's Performance sheet cake pans and I really like them.

I'd say it's up to you really and how much you plan to use them. I do not notice a big difference in the Wilton Performance Pans vs. Magic Line, BUT, I do not do high quantity baking in them either, so maybe someone who does can give a professional answer.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 13

I have some Wiltons but anything new I buy is Magic Line. All my rounds (except the 6") are ML and I absolutely love them. Good quality, heavy gauge (no need for bake even strips!), crisp corners, just good quality pans all around. Worth the money spent in my opinion! I'm going to replace my 6" pans as soon as I can get away with it!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 13

So you do not have to use bake even strips with Magic Line pans?????

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 13

Here is a comparison pic (well the thread has it anyways) of Magic Line next to another brand of square pan. Magic Line squares are hands down A#1 the best...and affordable!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6424795-.html#6424795

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

So you do not have to use bake even strips with Magic Line pans?????

I have not found the necessity to, no.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 13

Most of my pans are Magic Line or Pfeil and Holing brand. But I have to say, out of the three brands of contour pans I have seen up close, I like the shape of the Wilton ones best. I wish I would have bought all the sizes they offered.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%