Frosted Sheet Cakes In Freezer?

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm by Kbbaby

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding next weekend that requires 3 full sheets along with a 4 tier cake. I have decided to do the sheet cakes in 1/2 sheets. Has anyone one ever put a frosted sheet cake in the freezer? I am just trying to find some time to save since I also work a 40 hour job. If it's real hot out will it affect the frosting once taken out of the freezer?Any thoughts would be greatly apprecited. Thanks.

4 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

I once put a frosted cake in the freezer and it was fine. although it wasn't decorated and it was white frosting. I have heard other people that have put a decorated cake in the freezer and they said it was fine. I would be worried about colors bleeding. hth icon_smile.gif

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

Recently, I defrosted 2 frozen sheet cakes, one in the refrigerator loosely wrapped with saran wrap and one on the counter, unwrapped. The one in the refrigerator did fine. The one I defrosted on the counter sweat so badly and the colors bled like crazy! I wouldn't hesitate to defrost a cake in the refrigerator again, but on the counter, never! Just make sure to give your cake plenty of time to defrost in the refrigerator! icon_smile.gif

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 5

Well, I was thinking of just frosting them with white frosting and taking them out of the freezer 2 days before the wedding. I wouldn't decorate them until the day before the wedding. I've never froze a frosted cake before. Thanks.

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

They'll definitely be fine, then. If you haven't frozen a frosted cake before, though, I'll tell you how I freeze mine. I flash freeze them for about 3 hours in the freezer without being wrapped. Then I wrap my cake in saran wrap really well, and then heavy duty aluminum foil. That seems to work really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%