Did I Over Bake, Or Am I Just Not Used To Scratch?

Baking By mandyloo Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 4:21am by maryjsgirl

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

First off, please excuse any typos, bf and daughter are to bed and I've had a bloody mary...or three.

...moving right along..

I made this wonderful recipe yesterday:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dtxcrsv_94f2877ghh

Raspberry Almond Cupcakes

From Joy the Bakers blog

*Courtesy of Candes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup fresh raspberries, roughly chopped

makes 12 cupcakes

Put a rack in the middle of the oen and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt inside a bowl.
Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and almond extract. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating just until incorporated. Fold in the raspberries.
Divide the batter among lined muffin cups. Bake until pale golden and a wooden pick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Turn cupcakes out onto a rack to cool completely.
Spread frosting on cupcakes once cooled.

I frosted the cuppies with my usual vanilla buttercream and ate one about two hours later. The taste was WONDERFUL, however, the texture was dry and crumbly. SOOOO crumbly! I mean, like, mess all over crumbly.

My question is, is this the expected texture, or did I over bake? I did bake for about five minutes longer than the recipe called for because they were still very pale and a toothpick came out pretty much covered in goo.

Any input/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mandy

4 replies
yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 5

I don't think you overbaked... homemade cakes definitely have a different crumb and texture. The taste is incredible I'm sure but you'll need a glass of milk!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

That's a scratch recipe for you. That's one of the reasons why people use box mix just doctored up. Smells so good though. For some reason I have always thought that scratch recipes smell much better, weird I know. Maybe not taste better but the smell....mmmm. Box mix no matter what flavor cake smells like cake. Scratch you know if it's choc, almond,lemon...etc.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5

Ya what yeastconfection said , but here's what I alway's do add sourcream it will alway's help moisten it up and maybe a dab of corn syrup or alittle more butter here and there , but ya the sc trick is the best i'd say for a 9x13 cake recipe 8 oz or little less . Just a bit ok hope u continue to scratch bake I do both mix and scratch and love both , depends on my mood . Hey any one ever tried cream cheese poundcake yum !

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 5

I always take my scratch cakes out while there is still a slight mush when you touch the top of the cake. There will be crumbs if tested at this point too.

Remember that a cake will continue baking after you remove it from the oven. So if you take it out while "perfect" it will continue to cook a few minutes past that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%