Cake For Math Teacher

Decorating By megjacobs Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 4:08am by saffronica

megjacobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megjacobs Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 15

I'm looking for a creative, yet simple idea for my daughter's math teacher. He is retiring and I would like to make a memorable cake, but one that does not mention retiring. Thought a tribute to math would be appropriate. Thanks for any ideas!

14 replies
Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 15
megjacobs Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 15

I really like that idea Jennifer, particularly the unspoken jab! Any suggestions on ways to accomplish it that would look nicer than just using icing to accomplish the look?

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 15

what about a cake that's rectangular, with a brown border and black or green fondant on top, with white royal icing as writing on the "chalkboard" and the writing can be math equations or mathematical symbols. and on the sides of the cake you can do teacher-y type decorations (like books and an apple or ruler etc)

HTH

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 15

I LOVED doing matrices in Trig, and that window opens up all kinds of "the Matrix" jokes and ideas. I have no idea what level math he teaches, but pascals triangle, Fibonacci numbers, and Gauss, are all a few math concepts you might want to look into. Sorry I don't have any direct ideas.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 15

How about an apple with a cartoonish worm? Maybe you can also make the cake as if a huge ruler is wrapped around the sides.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 15

I also love he abacus idea! You could make the beads out of fondant. Lay everything flat on a rectangular cake and use fondant to make 3-D beads and fondant rolled into thin snakes between the beads to represent the horizontal "wires".

megjacobs Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm going to give the abacus a shot. Also came across another idea; make a clock, but instead of using numerals on the face, use square root of 1,4,9,16,25, etc., with the square root sign.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 15

I can't wait to see it. Please post when you are done!!!!!!

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #10 of 15

a caculator would be easy and cute. A graphing caculator?

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #11 of 15

LOL Pun intended!!!!
LL

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmoon

LOL Pun intended!!!!

sorry didn't finish my message... note the symbol for pi would make a cute cake! So my pun was; make him a pi for a cake!

esohe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esohe Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #13 of 15

I have an apple cake under my pictures which you can copy

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Quote:

LOL Pun intended!!!!

sorry didn't finish my message... note the symbol for pi would make a cute cake! So my pun was; make him a pi for a cake!

Thats what I was thinking, a real looking pie, but make it square with an r in the middle.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #15 of 15

I love the abacus idea. If you don't want to make all the beads out of fondant, you could use junior mints or mentos or something. Also, ask your daughter if there are any particular equations or anything that the teacher seems to love -- I know my high school math teacher had a few!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%