Candy Melts Or Modelling Chocolate???

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm by Sugarmags

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 11

Ok after seeing Cake Boss Buddy seems to use modeling chocolate a lot. Where do you get it? Is it easy to work with? I have also been wondering about the candy melts, I've seen them at Michaels, what do you use them for? Are they hard to work with?
Any input, thoughts, and experience would be appreciated!!
TIA,
Ashley icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 11

You can use the candy melts in molds to make shapes/decorations, or pour/pipe it onto a sheet, let it harden, and have stiff decorations (can probably find threads about this).

Modeling chocolate - chocolate melted and mixed with corn syrup to make a candy clay - I actually use the candy melts for this! It is pliable and fun to work with, but the more you handle it the more the heat from your hands affects it.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 11

Modeling chocolate is great stuff... use the candy melts and the wilton recipe

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 11

Are the candy melts chocolate? Or what do they taste like? In my head the taste like Starburst!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 11

I know y'all are totally sick of hearing me say it, but I am the biggest fan in the world of Pearl Clay!! icon_biggrin.gif It's a combination fondant and modeling chocolate which can do ANYTHING you ask of it. You can get the recipe from Jennifer Dontz (JenniferMI here on CC) at her website. It's on one of her videos actually. I use it all the time for molding, draping, embellishing, you name it. And it tastes great too! icon_lol.gif

marlamae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marlamae Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 11

The colored candy melts can be hard to work with. They burn really easy, but they taste good! The colored ones taste like white chocolate to me. When using them, add a little veg. oil to them before heating the chocolates up. That will help them not burn.

I've never used the modeling chocolates.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:07am
post #7 of 11

Comparing candy melts to modelling chocolate is like comparing fondant to whipped cream.

Candy melts are just chocolate that doesn't need tempering while modelling chocolate is a mixture of chocolate and corn syrup. They basically taste like chocolate. I've never heard of it tasting like Startburst.

I agree, check out Jennifer Dontz's dvd. It's great.

Sugarmags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarmags Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #8 of 11

I was wondering the same thing. Now also I would like to ask as well, what kind of chocolate do you use if you are to make your own modeling chocolate??

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmags

I was wondering the same thing. Now also I would like to ask as well, what kind of chocolate do you use if you are to make your own modeling chocolate??

The best quality chocolate I can. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #10 of 11

I use candy melts, chocolate chips, or real chocolate, depending on the application.

If I need color, it's very easy to mix up a batch with colored candy melts--I hoard the black and neon green ones that Wilton puts out at Halloween icon_lol.gif

I've kneaded white modeling chocolate in with fondant (like Jennifer Dontz) to cover cakes, make pearls, etc.

It's a tasty, easy to use medium.

I melt my candy melts, chocolate chips, and chocolate in plastic microwave safe bowls on 50% power for short burst. This reduces hot spots, you don't need to add oil, shortening, or paramount crystals, and it's pretty tough to overheat them that way.

When I can make roses out of modeling chocolate, I'm very happy.

Rae

Sugarmags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarmags Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I use candy melts, chocolate chips, or real chocolate, depending on the application.

If I need color, it's very easy to mix up a batch with colored candy melts--I hoard the black and neon green ones that Wilton puts out at Halloween icon_lol.gif

I've kneaded white modeling chocolate in with fondant (like Jennifer Dontz) to cover cakes, make pearls, etc.

It's a tasty, easy to use medium.

I melt my candy melts, chocolate chips, and chocolate in plastic microwave safe bowls on 50% power for short burst. This reduces hot spots, you don't need to add oil, shortening, or paramount crystals, and it's pretty tough to overheat them that way.

When I can make roses out of modeling chocolate, I'm very happy.

Rae

Thank you very much! Very helpfulicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%