Cakes Not Rising In Ka?

Decorating By mpetty Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:16am by Rylan

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 5

I've made 2 cakes in my new KA and neither one rose anywhere near as much as cakes did when using my trusty Sunbeam. Can any KA users give me an idea of how long you mix your box cakes in a KA? Thanks!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 5

I was told a long time ago that a KA is essentially too powerful to mix a cake mix properly, so to be honest, I don't do it. I use a good hand mixer (and a huge bowl when I'm mixing more than one mix) and the results are great and consistent.

That said, I do know people who use their KA for cake mixing and they use only the very lowest setting and for the shortest time possible--just until it seems well mixed and without lumps.

HTH
Rae

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 5

I sift my cake mixes and use my kitchenaid on the lowest setting, stopping only once to scrape the bowl. If I mix on too high of a speed I get major air bubble issues, but I haven't hand any rising issues.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 5

I use the low setting to wet the ingredients, then I scrape the bowl with the blade, then I mix it on med speed for 2 min. Bake the cakes at 325 and if you are using any pan larger than a 10in Id use a flower nail as a heating core. Fill pan 3/4 full also. Mine always rise fine.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 5

I've used KA for as far as I can remember and I've never had that problem.. well unless I had a problem with the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%