How Do I Make "sugarshacks" Icing Crust?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm by KieslerKakes

KieslerKakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:10am
post #1 of 14

I use Sugarshacks icing recipe and love it. But it doesn't seem to crust. I like my icing to be smooth but also hold it's shape when decorating and trimming. Anyone have any suggestions, more powdered sugar! Thanks

13 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:19am
post #2 of 14

It should crust as it's a 1:1 ratio of sugar to fat. Are you in a really humid climate? Are you doing the 5 cups of crisco to five pounds of powdered sugar?

Try adding a bit more powdered sugar and it should crust well.

KieslerKakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:27am
post #3 of 14

It is very humid here in Indiana. I use 5 cups crisco and 9 - 9 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. Being more humid should I add mor powdered sugar?

solascakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 14

Did you put it in the fridge to firm up,I always have to mix mine with water to use after removing form the fridge cos it's too thick.

KieslerKakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 14

Yes, for two days it was refrigeratated. I then decorated with a few fondant decorations and finished trimming with icing. I always keep my icing refrigerated as well, until I'm ready to use it. I know it's a learning process, but wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I'll try adding more powdered sugar. Thanks

miss_sweetstory Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 14
Originally Posted by KieslerKakes

It is very humid here in Indiana. I use 5 cups crisco and 9 - 9 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. Being more humid should I add mor powdered sugar?

Sugarshack's recipe is a 1 cup shortening to 1 pound ps ratio. Just eyeballing your numbers, I'm pretty sure you are short on sugar. Do you have a scale so you can check your amounts?

Crusting is a result of sugar to fat, so more sugar should give you more of a crust.

Good luck!

KieslerKakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 14

Thank icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 14

I agree, not nearly enough sugar. There are approximately 4 cups of powdered sugar in a pound (a bit less actually) so you should be using about 20 cups of ps if using 5 cups of shortening. (I use 2 & 1/2 - 2 pound bags)

Good Luck!!

KieslerKakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 14

WOW! I'm not using nearly enough powdered sugar. I only use 9 cups. Thanks I'll add more tonight and see what happens. Thanks.

ncox Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 14

Just to add to the previous comments - sugarshacks icing doesn't need refrigeration unless you want to keep it a very long time or you use milk in it. Good luck!

RetiredNavyChief Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 14

i read somewhere to add merigue powder to it if is very humid.

bays_cakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 14

???can you use crisco with this recipe?

miss_sweetstory Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 14

I've made it with Crisco several times and it turns out OK... but Hi-ratio really makes a positive difference. It's worth it if you can get ahold of it.

KieslerKakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 14

Well I ordered the Sweetex Hi-ratio shortening. I've used the CK brand before and loved it. I just thought I could get by with Crisco. I ordered from The Baker's Kitchen and someone had a writeup regarding Crisco and that they had changed there shortening. sometimes you have to learn the hard way detective.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%