Types Of Icing??

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm by ikklejo

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hiya im really really new to cake making and just wondered if someone can help with the different types of icing to use? Also what goes where from cake to fully iced??

Thanks icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC! I think you'll find this site is highly addictive and very fun!

There are lots of different icings that you can use. There's American buttercream, there's Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC), there's Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC), there's 7 minute frosting, the list just goes on and on with frostings. Personally, I think the most stable icings have shortening in them. Although I do love SMBC!

Ok, so here's the way that I do my cakes. You have made your cakes. You've torted your cakes. You have a little piece of cardboard to put under your cake. Take a bit of the icing and dab it onto the cardboard. Set the cake onto the cardboard. Then I fill the cake and put the next layer of cake on. Then I fill the cake again, put the next layer of cake on. I take an icing tip and ice the top and sides of the cake.

Then I take a spatula and dip it in super hot water. Dry the water off. And then use the hot spatula to take off the excess icing and make it smooth. Then I take Viva papertowels (after the cake crusts) and smooth down any rough spots.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.

cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 10

I forgot to attach this link. It will help you figure out what all the acronyms stand for!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

ikklejo Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you so much thats very helpful!! Do you ever use fondant? Ihave been told its alot easier and neater to use but I imagine it dosent taste as good???!

cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 10

You know, fondant is my favorite medium. Some fondants do taste good. I buy Satin Ice and it's delicious. MMF (marshmellow fondant) is pretty good. That's something that you can make at your own house (if you have a Kitchen Aid). Fondx is good but more expensive. There's also Michele Foster's fondant (MFF) that you can make at home. So there are lots of options out there. Wilton doesn't taste good though. But fondant is definitely my favorite. And if people don't like it, it just peels right off and they can leave it on their plate and eat the cake and the rest of the icing. =o)

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 10

I use fondant constantly. I make my own MMF, and it IS possible without a kitchenaid, it's just harder to do! I like the taste, and the price is unbeatable.
Look through the recipes, find one that catches your eye, and give it a go!

psychmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psychmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 10

I made MMF without KA - just wore my hand out! LOL Not sure about others but I would advise NOT putting hands in the mix - even coated with crisco icon_sad.gif trial and error for me. Just stick to the spoon as tempting as it may be to reach in there and knead...
Good Luck
~Raquel

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 10

I love American Icing..crusting icing!..Is my favorite..but there are so many recipes, is best for you to try them until you find the one you love the most!
Edna icon_smile.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 10

I'm new to working the fondant and love it! I (should say we - since DH would do the mixing and kneading) started off making MMF, but after having three failed batches one weekend, DH said NO MORE! I told him I could buy some that's readymade - he asked why I never told him that before and just buy it! Go figure icon_biggrin.gif We tested a small container and now I'm hooked.

Also, click on the link for tonedna's website. I just looked the other day and she has a great video tutorial about making buttercream. I wish I discovered that two years ago when I made my first batch - would have saved a few cakes icon_biggrin.gif

ikklejo Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much everyone will try out your tips!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%