Legal Zoom? For New Business?

Business By hollyh Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm by cylstrial

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used legal zoom before to start your new cake business? I can bake out of my home but would like to be legal and registered with the state before beginning anything. Thanks for your help!

7 replies
this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 8

Yup, I used legal zoom about 2 weeks ago to register in my state as an LLC. They sent an email notification when they filed the paperwork with the state, and then they called me for a follow-up. I was happy with them. hth

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 8

Could you explain what is Legal Zoom???

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 8

I have never heard of it! I would love to know about it though!

hollyh Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much this-mama-rocks! I am also looking at forming an LLC and legalzoom sounded great! Thanks for your help.

For those who don't know, legalzoom is an online company that will help you form your own company. You fill out several questionares and they do all the hard work. They check with your state to see if your name is available, the get you your tax number and pretty much set up your whole business for you. I work full-time and do cakes on the side. For me this saves me a lot of time I don't really have.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8

I would not use Legal Zoom for the simple fact that you can get the forms online. I don't know what state you are in, but the state websites usually have incredibly simple forms that you can fill in the blanks and send in to the state. Go to your state's website and check out the forms before investing the money to have someone else fill out the forms. By the time you have filled out the information on their site, you could have the forms done yourself.

Good luck!

hollyh Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks JP! I am in Virginia and most of the forms are not online. You have to call the state department just to request the packet of information with the forms. You can not even check to see if your company name is available online. It really is an anequated system. I wish I lived in a state that made it a little easier. Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I will do some more digging on the website!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for letting us know what it is though! It's always good to be informed of choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%