Aussies... What Brand Fondant Do You Use??

Decorating By JayTeresa Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 11:19am by Lazysuze

JayTeresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayTeresa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:45am
post #1 of 18

Hi there, I have a few cakes to do in the next couple of months and was going to order bulk fondant but i'm not sure what brand to get. I was just thinking Bakels but then I came across FONDX, so now i'm not sure.
Any comments greatly appreciated, also where do you order yours from??
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

17 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #2 of 18

i make my own MMf but i do buy Orchards White Icing from coles supermarkets to put on my cookies sometimes. It is very sweet but i reackon it tastes great icon_smile.gif

*edited* i just realised you wanted to buy it in bulk etc so maybe this isn't for you but if you are ever making fondant covered cookies might want to give it a try icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:35am
post #3 of 18

I live in a small town, and don't want to pay postage to order other brands, so only use Orchards from Coles or Woolies. I really like it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:47am
post #4 of 18

I live in a small town, and don't want to pay postage to order other brands, so only use Orchards from Coles or Woolies. I really like it.

lucia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucia Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:05am
post #5 of 18

I use Bakels, I buy in 7kg boxes from Australian Flour Power. Last time I got some I think it cost around $40.00 a box, (give or take - not the best at remembering prices).

I think you need an ABN to order through them. You can also order through Bakels but you need to have ABN as well and fill out a lengthy form.

I have not tried FONDX before - what's that like in ccomparison to Bakels.

Queenguba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenguba Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:06am
post #6 of 18

Hi, i'm only a beginner and i buy bakels in the 7 kilo box. I haven't had any complaints on it. I have heard of fondx but never used it.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:25am
post #7 of 18

I tried Cake Art and it tastes delicious but it is far too soft to get decent results with. I was hard pressed getting it off the board. I kid you not, it took 2 hours for me to roll it and manage to pick it up in one piece to cover an 8" cake - that's with the surface coated in Copha and icing sugar! A professional cake decorator put us on to Bakels and swears by it. Since trying it, it was fabulous! It worked so well - seems to be a lot more stable and gives a much better finish and tastes good too. If you live in Brisbane, Kitchenware Plus down at Loganholme will actually sell it to the public. I think you can buy it by the kilo or in a box, just call them first to make sure they have the stock to fill your order to save yourself a trip.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:32am
post #8 of 18

Don't buy Cakeart. It's really thin, stretchy and hard to work with. It's cheaper than Bakels but there's a reason for it icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:40am
post #9 of 18

Hey i just found out that a decorating store sells an orchard icing do you think that is the same brand as the coles orchard icing? Cose then they are available in 1 kg and 3kg amounts

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:41am
post #10 of 18

CakeArt 1kg coloured fondants are great to mix with Bakels (or other) though! They're incredibly concentrated so you don't need much...

JayTeresa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:50am
post #11 of 18

Thanks for all your reply's, I do normally just use the orchard brand but as i have 5 cakes in the next 2 months I htought it may be cheaper to order it in bulk. I've never used either of the other brands but Planet Cake sell the Bakels one thru their online store, I live in regional NSW so there isn't anywhere to buy it here that I know of so the internet is my only option.... fingers crossed it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for postage.
I might check out Flour Power as we do have an ABN so i'll check it out.
Thanks again everyone

JayTeresa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:59am
post #12 of 18

I just tried Flour Power but it's not bringing up any icing I might have to get it from Planet Cake...

lucia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucia Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:16am
post #13 of 18

I couldn't bring the icing up on the flour power website either, but I know they do have it. Maybe give them a call tomorrow, they may be having trouble with website.

Good luck

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:45am
post #14 of 18

Maybe try ringing them Australian Bakels (Pty) Ltd

Address: 4 Cardiff Ct, Cavan, SA, 5094
Phone Number: (0icon_cool.gif 83494344

-ACakeForYou- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-ACakeForYou- Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:47am
post #15 of 18

We use Orchard from woolies. Woolies is only $3.90 per 500gs whereas coles is $4.30. It actually worked out cheaper than buying the Bakels from Planet Cake as its $55 for 7kgs ($3.93 per 500gs) as you also have to pay $10.00 shipping on top of that. Not sure if you can get it anywhere cheaper though?

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #16 of 18

Orchard is my choice! Most supermarkets stock it now.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:17am
post #17 of 18

I use Bakels 7kg boxes, always get good results so haven't thought about trying anything else! Best price I have found (for delivery to Sydney, not sure about regional delivery charges) is from Cake Decorating Central in Castle Hill which I order online. You don't need an ABN to order...

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:19am
post #18 of 18

I use Orchard because it works fine for me and is very similar to Regal Ice which I used to use in England but can't find here.
But the main reason i use it is because if you're lucky enough to live in Melbourne you can buy it direct from them and it's only $12.90 for 3kg!! thumbs_up.gif
They are in Bayswater - www.orchardicing.com
Not sure if they do mail order.
Happy icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%