Dry Looking Gumpaste/fondant Bassinet Help Please

Decorating By peytonsgammy Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 4:53am by kellertur

peytonsgammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsgammy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:26am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time using gumpaste or fondant. I am going to start helping my daughter out who went to school to learn how to make cakes. She does not like working with gumpaste though. This is where I will come in now. I have been reading up on it and have bought alot of supplies. I read on here how to blend it 70/30 or 50/50 depending on the persons preference. I also read how to make gumpaste glue. That has been a godsend on this project!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you ladies for these tips!

The bassinet I am making is looking dry after it dry's. Kinda like a stick of gum would look. At first I thought maybe I put too much powdered sugar in the gumpaste when I mixed it. So I bought the premade stuff today and tried it. Nope, it is drying the same. Both the gumpastes are by Wilton.

Is there a way to keep it looking more moist?

Another question I have... What is the difference between Shimmer Dust and Luster Dust? Is Shimmer Dust suppose to be applied when gumpaste is wet or dry? I played with it on a sample of gumpaste and it didn't work to well. The gumpaste was 45% dry. What do you use to paint the flowers with? On the internet it says to use the edible chalk but I can't find it in stores here. Do you use an alternate or order online?

Thanks for helping me. I appreciate any help I can get!

Peytonsgammy

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 6

You can paint the finished piece with a little bit of vodka to get the dry look to go away. It's probably from the powdered sugar or cornstarch you used while rolling it out.

You should try using Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe. You have to get tylose for it instead of gum-tex, but it's easier to make than the Wilton recipe, comes out bright white and doesn't stink. I made it for the first time last week and it's sturdy enough to make big flowers out of (check out the white roses in my photos...I've never been able to make roses like that before)

Most chalks say they are non-toxic, and gumpaste isn't going to be eaten, so some people dust it with chalk that they've grated against a fine metal mesh strainer. If you decide to do that, you can buy little cups with snap on lids at the craft store to keep your grated chalk in. You can also use the more expensive dusts that you can get at the cake decorating store. I like to paint fondant or gumpaste pieces with wilton's icing colors thinned with vodka. The luster dust can be brushed onto fondant or gumpaste with a dry brush or mixed with vodka and painted on.

I've never bought shimmer dust...I've looked at it a couple of times because it's not very expensive but it seems too coarse for the effect that I'm usually going for.

peytonsgammy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsgammy Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

Your white roses are absolutely gorgeous!! I hope one day I am able to make them that good. I am going to do the vodka. Also the diluting wilton's icing colors with vodka. I needed to color the baby's hair so this should work good! The tylose I need to go looking for.

Thank you very much for all your tips! I appreciate it greatly icon_biggrin.gif

Peytonsgammy

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 6

Tylose comes from the cake decorating shop icon_biggrin.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You can paint the finished piece with a little bit of vodka to get the dry look to go away. It's probably from the powdered sugar or cornstarch you used while rolling it out.

You should try using Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe. You have to get tylose for it instead of gum-tex, but it's easier to make than the Wilton recipe, comes out bright white and doesn't stink. I made it for the first time last week and it's sturdy enough to make big flowers out of (check out the white roses in my photos...I've never been able to make roses like that before)

The luster dust can be brushed onto fondant or gumpaste with a dry brush or mixed with vodka and painted on.

thumbs_up.gif for nicholas gumpaste,it's what i'm using..one question though texas_rose, do you brush the luster dusts on gp before it has dried?i tried brushing silver dusts on (w/ vodka & w/o) on dried gp bow and it didn't come out as shiny as i wanted it too.brushing it w/ vodka came out uneven, it left some patches on the bow...thanks

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Most chalks say they are non-toxic, and gumpaste isn't going to be eaten, so some people dust it with chalk that they've grated against a fine metal mesh strainer. If you decide to do that, you can buy little cups with snap on lids at the craft store to keep your grated chalk in.

Do you mean the "sidewalk chalk" my daughter uses for hopscotch?
How do you get the color to adhere to the flower? I previously must have done it wrong, because the color didn't really stick. Is there another step to using just plain chalk?

thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%