How To Make

Decorating By swritik Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 11:55am by Rylan

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:57am
post #1 of 7

the little balls that you see around the cake. I mean so they are the same size?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1225/1194045451_223f668924.jpg

Rita

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #2 of 7

I roll out fondant with lollipop sticks or something similar on each side of the fondant. This will ensure that the fondant is the same thickness all the way through. Then I use one of my piping tips to cut out circles in the amount that I need. then I roll them in my hands until each one is a perfect little sphere. Not too difficult, just time consuming. Make sure only roll enough fondant for about ten balls at a time so your fondant doesn't dry out too quickly. The drier the fondant gets, the more difficult it is too get perfect little spheres without cracks and lines in them.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 7

You have a couple of options. You can just pipe them using buttercream which is quick and easy...plus if you mess one up its easy to scrape off without ruining the cake icon_razz.gif

If making them with a fondant or gumpaste, I generally roll my fondant out thick then use a small round cutter to ensure I have the same amount of fondant per ball. Then just roll in my palms to get the right shape.

you can also use a pearl string mould such as this one - they come in all sizes
http://blossomsugarart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=737

HTH

Katie icon_smile.gif

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:32am
post #4 of 7

omg, thank you . I will try it. Because before they would come out different sizes.

Rita

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:36am
post #5 of 7

haha, dont be too worried if they are different sizes...sometimes that can look just as effective - of course it does depend on what kind of look you are going for icon_razz.gif

Good luck !

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 7

The balls in that picture aren't all the same size either icon_biggrin.gif If you're just going for them looking roughly the the same size, you can use a small measuring spoon. I do it that way because it's faster than rolling it out and cutting circles.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #7 of 7

I usually just eyeball it when I use fondant. I've heard people rolling their fondant to look like snakes and then cut it from there. When done, they roll it into balls.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%