Need Advice On A Princess Cake

Decorating By Chelsie_a Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm by BeesKnees578

Chelsie_a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelsie_a Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 2

Hello,
This is my first time asking a question on CC. I have a birthday cake coming up this weekend. The problem is I have to drive almost 2 1/2 hours to get the cake to the party. I plan on doing a 9 inch square and then a 6 inch round on top with buttercream icing. I bought a brick impression mat. Can I use them on buttercream? I need to know the best way to transport the cakes. And what to make the turrets out of that will withstand that drive and how to transport the turrets. I was planning on doing the accents out of MMF. I don't want to buy the Wilton premade ones. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

1 reply
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 2

I have never used an impression mat on buttercream, but think you can if the icing is crusted or very cold. I have made turrets using a large circle biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Prep main cake board using 4 layers of cardboard. Cover in your foil or whatever you are using. Put the main part of your cake on the board and decide where your turrets will go. You will have to use the same circle cutter to take a notch out or each corner the entire height of your cake so that the turret will fit in there. Cut circles out of a sheet cake using the circle cutter. Stack them on top of each other in the place on your cakeboard where they are supposed to go, icing between each one (you may want to use a little cardboard round every so often for support BUT make sure you poke a hole in the center before adding the next layer of cake. Once your turret is as tall as you need it to be, push a sharpened dowel down through its center, making sure you get through the holes in the little cardboard rounds until the dowel hits the table. As long as it's straight up and down, it should be OK. Buttercream your seams and you are good to go. Since you are traveling, I would chill the cake completely so that it's sturdier and crank the air in the car! Good luch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%