Anyone Hate 7 Minuite Frosting??

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 2:32am by JustToEatCake

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone,

I just had to make some 7 minute frosting for a cake for my God daughter. It looked nice at first but ran a bit. It also didnt hold its shape for my shells. I dont have any luck with that icing. Any tips or good recipes to share?

Kathy

14 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 15

Use it right away, don't put it in fridge.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 15

Umm, this will probably sound silly but...what is 7 minute frosting?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #4 of 15

7 minute frosting is (i think) also known as boiled icing. Egg whites, sugar and corn syrup (sometimes with cream of tartar) are heated and whipped on top of a double broiler of 7 minutes. You get a fluffy, marshmallow-y frosting that's pure white and fat free LOL

bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:39am
post #5 of 15

Ohh, ok. Can this icing be used for decorating....does it crust at all or should it not be used if trying to make roses and borders and things like that?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:44am
post #6 of 15

I have used it before and it pipes but I don't really pipe much. I've seen it used on a cake before to imitate fondant. I guess if you have enough practice you can do it. It kind of crusts I guess, I can't explain it.

ETA This is the cake. gumpaste accents but the rest is boiled icing.

bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:48am
post #7 of 15

I'm going to find the recipe and try it out and see if I can decorate with it. I'm always trying to do new things and sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. LOL We'll see with this one.
Thanks cupcakeshoppe...oh and kjgjam....sorry for totally thread jacking. Thanks for bringing the 7 minute icing to my attention. I had never heard of it before.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:52am
post #8 of 15

close up pics. these were from my friend's wedding. i did not make this cake.

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:36am
post #9 of 15

i definitely hate 7 minute frosting!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 15

lo. no problem. re hijacking the thread. icon_smile.gif

Cupcakeshoppe yours looks like it held its shape. mine did not. i need to find another recipe.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 15

kjgjam22, i didn't make that cake LOL it was the cake for my friend's wedding. the baker told us that they don't use fondant and will only use boiled icing (kinda the same as 7 minute frosting) btw those stripes are made from the icing. they really did it well i think.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 15

That's quite a cake. I could never do that with the seven minute frosting recipe I use. Mine is light and fluffy and I just have never tried to smooth it. I recently used it on a coconut cake and then just cut out red fondant flowers with yellow centers and placed them on here and there. It was pretty but not smooth at all. Maybe I'll have to try smoothing it sometime. I never have any trouble with mine separating or running and I live in GA where it's quite humid. I don't refrigerate it either, though.

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #13 of 15

I find seven minute frosting or "fluffy white frosting" to be very pretty and easy to pipe with as it holds shape very well. What I am not sure about is if you can refrigerate it and have it still look good in the morning? Here is the recipe I use and it turns out great everytime:

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups egg whites (I buy the carton of 100% egg whites so I don't have to separate 18 eggs!)

Wisk and cook over double boiler until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is very hot to the touch. Pour in electric mixer and whip it on high until stiff peaks. It will be very stiff and shiny.

Hope this works out for you. I am going to give it a go and since I am doing cupcakes I won't have a filling to worry about so I think I will just not put them in the frige. Hope I don't regret it tomorrow... icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:31am
post #14 of 15

I too second the I hate 7 minute frosting...Ick..after awhile it tastes like rubber... icon_wink.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #15 of 15

I LOVE 7 min frosting and my mom used to make it all the time and cover it with fresh coconut and she kept it in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%