Cream Cheese Icing Under Fondant -- I Must Refrigerate

Decorating By PinkLisa Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 12:57am by mclaren

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 19

Everyone seems to agree here that one should not refrigerate a fondant cake but what do I do when I'm using cream cheese icing? Also, I plan to always use butter-based buttercream on cakes in general so won't want to leave that out too long either. I don't like the taste of shortening only buttercream.

18 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 19

I can't help with advice with regards to the cream cheese frosting, but just wanted to say I ALWAYS use buttercream in my cakes and I never refrigerate. After all, the butter I use daily for my bread/toast isn't put in the fridge.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

PinkLisa Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks Relznik about the "butter" buttercream. I get nervous about it since my butter is always in the refrigerator. I hear that it can stay out but I don't think most people in the states keep it out.

It will be much easier to cover the cakes with fondant and then leave them out. However, I would feel safer transporting a tiered cake that was chilled and the firmed up icing would keep it stable.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Thanks Relznik about the "butter" buttercream. I get nervous about it since my butter is always in the refrigerator. I hear that it can stay out but I don't think most people in the states keep it out.

How do you spread it, then? LOL!! It's solid when it comes out the fridge!!

[quote="PinkLisa] It will be much easier to cover the cakes with fondant and then leave them out. However, I would feel safer transporting a tiered cake that was chilled and the firmed up icing would keep it stable.[/quote]

I ONLY use fondant (as do most UK cake decorators) and I stick the tiers together with a good blob of royal icing. I've never yet had a problem.

icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 19

I always refrigerate my cakes. I use Satin Ice fondant btw.

I've used the cream cheese buttercream recipe from Edna's site and left it for 24 hours with no problems.

Good luck.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 19

I refrigerate ALL of my cakes, without exception, and I use Satin Ice exclusively.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 19

I too refrigerate my cream cheese BC cakes no matter what and my SI never fails, I love this fondant!

PinkLisa Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you everyone for your responses. I just finished my stacked book graduation cake with carrot cake and cream cheese icing. I have all the tiers in the refrigerator now. It's an outside party so I hope they don't sweat too much then. Luckily it's not to hot. I also used Satin Ice fondant.

miny Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 19

The cake is going to sweat for sure once you take it out of the fridge but as it comes to room temperature it's going to dry, just be careful not to touch it when it's a little wet or you may ruin it. Good luck!

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 19

Just a little FYI...salted butter can be left out of the frige for a very long time. If the butter is UNsalted, you cannot leave it out even overnight. The salt acts as a preservative. This I know for sure.

I have read on other threads that when you combine things like cream cheese, cream, milk, or butter (unsalted) with the large amount of sugar it's usually mixed with, the sugar acts as a preservative. Sounds good to me. My MOM left the cake I made her using unsalted butter in the buttercream out for a week and she said it tasted as good the last day as it did the first.

PinkLisa Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #11 of 19

Thank you Shanna Bananna for making that distinction on the type of salt used!!!! I obviously use UNsallted butter in my buttercream. I think I'll just deal with the sweat issue and refrigerate all my cakes. Better health safe.

Thank you Miny for the tip of not touching the cake during it's sweating. I've always refrigerated my kids fondant birthday cakes but I would take it out of the frig right before serving so it was never a problem.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #12 of 19

Glad I could help! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #13 of 19

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that in Europe the butter is unsalted and it is not refrigerated all the time or even most of the time. My mom and family are from Germany and I know they had never encountered salted butter til they moved here, and my grandparents always have butter out...not for weeks or anything, but it's certainly not cold from the fridge when we have it. So I think unsalted can be out for a decent amount of time. (Kinda like in Europe they don't really refrigerate eggs either!)

I don't refrigerate my PS buttercream and I use unsalted butter. I only use PS buttercream when it's a cake that won't be able to refrigerated.

ancameni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ancameni Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 19

I am using satin ice fondant and i make a cream cheese frosting. This is now the second time that the cream cheese frosting started to "melt/dissolve" the fondant. I do not know if it is the kind of cream cheese frosting i make. I make a Boiled Frosting aka 200 frosting made with cream cheese. Everytime i make it, a couple hours later the fondant seems to dissolve. I would appreciate any comments or advise on this. I really like this frosting but if someone could share their tried and true cream cheese frosting that does not dissolve under satin Ice, that would be great.

miny Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #15 of 19

I've never heard of something like this! I'll bump you, maybe someone can help you with this. Good luck

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #16 of 19

I posted a suggestion earlier. Check out Edna's site : designmeacake.com

She has a recipe in there and it doesn't dissolve under Satin Ice fondant. Believe me, I've tried it.

Good luck.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Not very accurate. I always leave my butter out. There is nothing worse then trying to put butter on bread when it has been in the fridge. It's painful to try and not rip the bread!!!! I only put it in the fridge IF and I stress IF it is extremely hot. Which, we have AC so it's not very often. Just about everyone I know leaves there butter out. Ok, enough of that. I agree with RylanTy, check out Edna's site!

ancameni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ancameni Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks i will try this one the next time i make a cream cheese frosting. Thing is, I really like the boiled frosting taste. Oh well, i try.

Thanks again...

Ancameni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I posted a suggestion earlier. Check out Edna's site : designmeacake.com

She has a recipe in there and it doesn't dissolve under fondant. Believe me, I've tried it.

Good luck.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #19 of 19

about leaving butter out, it really depends on where you live / stay.

i never leave my butter out, unless i'm using it in my cakes, so i need to take it out in RT for a while. else, it stays in the fridge, and i will take it out and leave it in RT for 5 mins before spreading it on my bread.

if i were to leave my butter out in RT at all times, even if i keep it in a cool place like the cabinet, i'm sure i'll be spreading thick oil on my bread.

i'm sure those who refrig their butter, do not slice rock solid butter for their sandwiches, but we do take it out and let the butter soften a bit, so that it's spreadable.
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%