Glow In The Dark Icing

Decorating By deanna_cake Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 12:13am by missyd4e

deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 15

Ok, so I was totally glued to the tv for a few weeks when Food Network's Last Cake Standing was on. I was totally entranced by something that the winner Mary Maher did on the cake she did as a team, the superhero cake. She used a glow in the dark icing. Does anyone know how to do this? She mentioned on the show somethng about the properties of quanine in Tonic Water...Any help greatly appreciated. I would love to use this technique on my boyfriend's upcoming 30th b-day on the 4th of July....
thanx

14 replies
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:03am
post #2 of 15

I could be wrong about this but I think she put the tonic water into piping gel and then applied it to the already completed cake. HTH!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:08am
post #3 of 15

I could be wrong about this but I think she put the tonic water into piping gel and then applied it to the already completed cake. HTH!

That is excatly what she did

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:28am
post #4 of 15

Remember, it wasn't exactly 'glow in the dark.' A black light was used to set off the glow.

deanna_cake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:11am
post #5 of 15

what about the ratio? did she put straight tonic water into the piping gel? was it diluted? i know she had to use a black light, but I would still love to know this technique.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 15

I think one of the supermarket brands has a neon green food dye. I don't know if that would help.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 15

McCormick is the brand with the neon food coloring. Red box, pack of 4. I have it in my pantry but haven't used it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 15

Americolor makes Electric (Neon) colors

Blue Yellow Green Orange Pink and Purple

Theresa icon_smile.gif

deanna_cake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 15

thanx ladies for responding...unfortunately the "neon" food colors aren't what i'm looking for. instead i'm looking for the way to use tonic water and piping gel...got any ideas like that?

deanna_cake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 15

thanx ladies for responding...unfortunately the "neon" food colors aren't what i'm looking for. instead i'm looking for the way to use tonic water and piping gel...got any ideas like that?

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 15

Do you suppose you could purchase quinine in the drug store? I know they used it in the old days (Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman). What think?

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 15

Sorry, What is Tonic Water?

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 15

I tried this look a couple of weeks ago. I used tonic water and mixed it with my clear piping jel. It did not work that well. The white piping jel with the tonic water glowed really well under the glack light, but the clear on top of fondant colored in light blue did not really glow that great.

deanna_cake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 15

i will have to try that...do you know if it would make it taste differently? bitter or sour or too sweet? or how to counteract that?

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #15 of 15

I read on line that when making gkow in the dark ice cubes or other things to dilute the tonic water in half with water to cut down the bitterness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%