How Do I Make A Fondant Bow?

Decorating By CakeDiva70 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 1:03am by Sassy74

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi CC!

I have been researching the net, but have not gotten great results. I have a cake for next Saturday and the customer wants the gift box with fondant bow. I have just seen the "curltique's" too. Do you mind sharing which fondant recipe you use that gives the best result in making the bow? Also, would you mind sharing how you made the bow. What "glue" you used to keep it together. How far in advance should I make it? How long does it take to dry? I need some reassurance that it is not as hard as I seem to think. Any information you can give me will be much appreciated. TIA - CakeDiva70 icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 7

It's not too hard...making a fondant bow was one of the first things that I tried when I started using marshmallow fondant. There's a tutorial for the bow if you click on the articles tab. I glued it together with candy coating. It took a day for the loops to harden enough to assemble the bow. The candy coating hardens in an hour or less. If you need your bow to dry faster, try using gumpaste instead, or a 50/50 mix.

When I made the pieces that look like curling ribbon, I wrapped thin strips of fondant around lollipop sticks.

The sooner you make it, the sooner it will be done and you can relax about it icon_biggrin.gif You can make it ahead of time and just store it in a box.

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Texas_Rose!

I need it for June 13th, so I can actually start making it now and just store it...........great...........gives me lots of time to practice. I have been reading about the 50/50 gum paste and fondant. If anyone is willing to share their recipe for the 50/50, I would appreciate it. I believe the gum paste helps it to harden more. Any help would be great.

Thanks

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #4 of 7

This is a *great* tutorial for making a Christmas gift bow, which I thought was easier to make and looked better than a regular Wilton bow. Good luck!

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/jules06_photos/my%20cakes/?action=view¤t=09f3a21a.pbr

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #5 of 7

The bow was also one of the first things I tried. It is really not hard. I have used fondant and/or gumpaste. As the glue, I have used moistened fondant and buttercream, although I think I prefer the buttercream.

I have not had luck assembling the bow off the cake. For some reason it always breaks!

When I do put it together, I found that I plan basic "structure" then just fill in where it needs it. Don't think too much.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

Sorry! Double post.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

Edna does an excellent bow tutorial on youtube. Look up "tonedna." I used her bow on a wedding cake I did in Mar, and they were so elegant! Got lots of compliments! Easy, too. I used gumpaste, but a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and MMF would work fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%