How Do I Do This Technique?

Decorating By thecakechic Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm by Cakechick123

thecakechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakechic Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 8

i am not sure how to wrap a fondant band that has an edible image applied on it to the side of a cake?... is it best to apply image to the band once it on the cake?
i love the chocolate transfer designs but do not love working with chocolate (at least in the hot and humid summers) ... i am trying to replicate those cool designs using fondant and custom edible icing sheets
any thoughts ? thanks so much!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 8

I've never used edible images but fondant stretches a little bit when you wrap it on a cake so my guess is that you'd need to put the image on once the fondant was on the cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

If yu let your fondant dry a little before placing on the cake it wont be as likely to stretch.

thecakechic Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 8

i thought i would attach a pic of what i would like to do but in different designs ... has anybody done this before but not in a chocolate transfer?
LL

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 8

That looks like a cake for a plumber or kitchen tiler! I like those tiles and have something very similar in my kitchen!!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 8

I have done this with an edible image. Covered the cake and put the image straight onto the cake. I would do the same with that cake, just cut the image and stick it directly onto the cake. Why would you want to use another piece of fondant that might just stretch???
HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319310

thecakechic Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 8

thanks riana ... i guess i was thinking of adding a little more dimension with a fondant band but after looking at your pic this will work too
love your cake! ... how did you get the seams of the edible images to blend so well for the middle tier? was this an icing sheet you made yourself?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakechic

love your cake! ... how did you get the seams of the edible images to blend so well for the middle tier?

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif It took some patience, and I was lucky the image I had was big enough to cover the side and a little over the top.

Quote:
Quote:

was this an icing sheet you made yourself?

I had a bakery print it for me. I used 5 sheets in total for the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%