When Do You 'turn Out' Your Cakes?

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 16 Jun 2017 , 1:59pm by yortma

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 39

That is.....

How long do you let your cakes cool/set after taking them out of the oven? 10 minutes? Until cooled all the way? I need to find my 'ground' in this department. Is there a hard fast rule?

38 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 39

I do 10 minutes. I actually set a timer. Have never had a problem (so far...).

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 39

Hi!

When I take my cakes out of the oven, I keep them in the cake pan on a cake rake for 10 minutes. I then remove the cake and let it cool on the cake rack for at least 1 hour, until cool to the touch.

HTH =)

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 39

I dump mine right from the oven onto PressN'seal and wrap then place in my subzero. Makes them super moist. But pans must be lined with parchment paper or they will crack.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 39

Whenever. I've done a few hours, 10 minutes, immediately. Just depends.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 39

I also leave my cakes in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Then flip it over onto another rack, so the bottom of the cake is on the rack.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 39

THanks ladies!

I did NOT do parchment this time. Although I rarely do and don't have a huge problem.

I'm going to flip them soon and hopefully I don't have any cracks!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

I do 10 minutes. I actually set a timer. Have never had a problem (so far...).

I do 15 minutes, but like the above poster I also set a timer. Haven't had a problem yet. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 39

10 minutes here too. Then I let it rest for another 10 on the plate and then cover with saran wrap and let cool. Never had any problems either. thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 39

I do 10 minutes. I also set a timer. I haven't had any problems with that amount of time.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 39

i have been letting mine completely cool in the pan, then cover and into the fridge to chill before torting. am i harming the cakes by letting them cool in the pan?
diane

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 39

cool 10 minutes, turn out on cake board, place another cake board on top wrap with lots of saran wrap and throw in freezer (makes cake really moist) never had a problem as long as I use the homemade cake release found on this site.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i have been letting mine completely cool in the pan, then cover and into the fridge to chill before torting. am i harming the cakes by letting them cool in the pan?
diane

I seriously doubt it. I was always told that if you let them sit in the pan longer than 15 minutes, then they're hard to get out. With everything, though, it's a matter of personal preference. If letting them cool completely in the pan works for you, then go for it. I don't think there are any rules "set in stone" about how long to leave your cake in the pan after it's done baking.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:

i have been letting mine completely cool in the pan,

Ditto....always works for me. My cakes never stick to the inside of the pan. Then, I wrap in plastic wrap and wait for actually assembly time.

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 39

I've actually done both 10 minutes or until its completely cool. It produces pretty much the same result. If you flip it out too early though it could cause cracks down the cake - so i tend to wait and with the cake release they always come out real easy no matter how long in the pan and my cakes are always supermoist

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 39

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority here, but I take mine out of the pan right after I push down with a clean towel to even out the top.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 39

How does that clean towel trick work? I swear, uneven cake tops are going to be the death of me.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Ditto....always works for me. My cakes never stick to the inside of the pan. Then, I wrap in plastic wrap and wait for actually assembly time.

My pastry chef always stressed to take them out of the pan soon after taking them out of the oven because otherwise the residual heat from the pan can lead to over cooking them... but some how I doubt that it really has that much of an impact.

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 39

Can someone point me in the direction of this cake release? I would always cross my fingers and go through sheer agony hoping my cakes would come out OK. Used to be 50/50 chance that 1/2 my cake would get stuck to the bottom. I did my own wedding cake and we almost had wedding trifle! Thank goodness my DH was there and kept a cool head. Now I use parchment paper and never have a problem but would be curious to know about this 'new' method. Thanks!!!

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #20 of 39

I normally let mine completely cool in the pan before turning them out. Sometimes I even cover them and refridgerate overnight if I'm not going to be torting until the next day. I usually never have a problem. My problem with the cake sticking is because I accidentally overcook them sometimes. I need to do the timer thing.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

My pastry chef always stressed to take them out of the pan soon after taking them out of the oven because otherwise the residual heat from the pan can lead to over cooking them... but some how I doubt that it really has that much of an impact.

The only thing....only thing I have ever experienced on the negative side is they have shrunk a wee bit a couple of times. Other than that...perfectly good cakes!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #22 of 39

I leave mine in the pan until they are 'warm', not hot.. usually 10 mins or so, then I flip them onto a rack, lift the pan slightly to make sure it's not stuck.. then ljust eave the pan intact on the cake while it's upside-down on the rack.
I read this here somewhere back when I first started. It results in the most moist cakes ever! I've never had a dry one!

IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #23 of 39

I have always inverted mine onto a cooling rack (if I have the right size), then I set the pan they baked in on top for a little extra pressure.

I waited the 10-15 min. and it flipped out great!!!! Thanks ladiesicon_smile.gif

I also use the homemade cake release.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #24 of 39

Averagemom, I just lay a clean towel across the top of the cake, be careful, it's HOT. Press firmly all the way around, pull up towel slowly cause it will stick a little. Then flip it out. No round tops!!! HTH

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakery4

Can someone point me in the direction of this cake release? I would always cross my fingers and go through sheer agony hoping my cakes would come out OK. Used to be 50/50 chance that 1/2 my cake would get stuck to the bottom. I did my own wedding cake and we almost had wedding trifle! Thank goodness my DH was there and kept a cool head. Now I use parchment paper and never have a problem but would be curious to know about this 'new' method. Thanks!!!

Mix equal parts veg. oil, Crisco, and flour and store in a container. I use an empty Crisco can.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I leave mine in the pan until they are 'warm', not hot.. usually 10 mins or so, then I flip them onto a rack, lift the pan slightly to make sure it's not stuck.. then ljust eave the pan intact on the cake while it's upside-down on the rack.
I read this here somewhere back when I first started. It results in the most moist cakes ever! I've never had a dry one!

This is what I do, also. I read it somewhere, too. It really does work and leaves the cake very moist.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #27 of 39

I'm gonna have to try that...leaving the pan on top after flipping the cake. Thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #28 of 39

At what point do you level your cakes with a cake leveler? Do you do it before or after you freeze them? Also, what is the point of freezing the cakes? Don't they have to come to room temp before you decorate them? Thanks!!!

IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

At what point do you level your cakes with a cake leveler? Do you do it before or after you freeze them? Also, what is the point of freezing the cakes? Don't they have to come to room temp before you decorate them? Thanks!!!

I'd like all these questions answered too!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

I don't level cakes. I have pressed them down with a clean kitchen towel adn that really does work. I use the Wilton Bake Even strips and most cakes come out pretty flat (chocolate ones still hump up a little bit). It seems like heat and moisture escape when i've leveled a cake before. i can't answer about the freezing cakes, i don't do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%