Black & White Plaid Fondant

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 11

Well ... the bride couldn't get the polka dotted dresses she wanted, so now she is talking plaid and wants black and white plaid for her cake. I've searched and the consensus seems to be "paint it" ... I don't see how that will work for black and white, so any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't seen a picture of the dresses so I don't have a clue what the plaid looks like, but they will definitely be black and white. She is using red roses and doesn't want any other color on the cake.

TIA!

10 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 11

aine2 does a tutorial where she shows how she painted (or maybe used food writer pens now i cant remember) the plaid on a kilt...i guess it all depends if you use white fondant with black plaid or vice versa or both...i think it would have to be one or the other though, if she doesn't want any other colors in the cake.

unless you do various sizes of fondant strips, from the spaghetti thin to much wider?

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 11

I think painting black onto white fondant/gumpast will be much prettier then painting white onto black fondant.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks! I started watching Lorraine's tutorial (aine2), but I have carpal tunnel really bad and I don't see how I could draw paint/draw that many lines and have it look okay. Plus, she wants the plaid to be on the black tiers. The other two tiers will be white with black dots. I'm going to play with some criss-crossing fondant stripes and see if I can find something to work. I appreciate the suggestions. icon_smile.gif

My good friend (bride's aunt) said that she is sure the design will change several more times - we started out with b&w alternating tiers and dots ... I want to figure out something that will work for the point in time when I say no more changes!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 11

Another idea could be to print black/white plaid with an edible printer and wrap the cake with it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 11

Do you have an air brush? If so Roland Winbeckler has a striped stencil that you could use then turn it to get the cross stripe and and you would have plaid. I don't think it will be easy to pain white over black fondant though.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 11

I don't have an airbrush, but Culinary Stencils has a stencil that works the same way. I have stenciled onto buttercream and I hear that it is much easier to stencil onto fondant. If I go that direction, I could probably get away with stenciling black onto white fondant. I'll have to play around some and see what happens - send the bride pictures and see what she thinks.

Thanks for the ideas!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

Another idea could be to print black/white plaid with an edible printer and wrap the cake with it.

I agree. or use black/white plaid ribbon.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 11

You could also look for a black/white plaid chocolate wrap.

mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 11

I've thought about ribbon. I've also thought about doing a chocolate transfer, but I haven't ever done one and really don't want to try something totally new on a wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%