Newby To Fondants

Decorating By hebberd Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:31am by Rylan

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 4

OK! I have been wanting to try my hand at doing fondant. It makes such beautiful looking cakes! My plan for the first one is to just cut designs out of fondant and apply them to a cake. But I have a few questions: 1. I can't find one of those white fondant rollers to roll it out, what else can I use?
2. Fondant is edible right? 3. What kind of frosting is the best to use with fondant? 4. Do you just stick the shapes to the frosting or do you have to do more? I have seen some who put water on the back of the shapes.
I plan to buy the already colored fondant that comes in a pack of four different colors.

I appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 4

1. You can use a regular rolling pin. It helps to dust the work surface and rolling pin with cornstarch so it doesn't stick. You may have to roll, then dust, roll, dust again...depending on how sticky your fondant is. They have the small white Wilton pin at most Walmarts for about four dollars. You don't need the huge pin until you decide to do some huge cake icon_biggrin.gif

2.Fondant is edible (although some people will debate that about the Wilton fondant).

3.I use a crusting buttercream. I love Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream, which you can find in the recipe section here. I hesitated at first about buying the Dream Whip that goes in it, because it's kind of pricey, but I'm so glad I tried it. It tastes wonderful and holds up well to the heat.

4.The fondant will stick to the buttercream if the frosting hasn't crusted yet. If the frosting has crusted, moisten the back of the fondant shape with a very small amount of water and it should stick to the cake. If it's a heavy piece you may have to hold it on for a few seconds until it sticks.

Sometime you should try making marshmallow fondant. It's easy and cheap and tasty!

KaraBeara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraBeara Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

I'm a fondant newbie as well so I'm sure someone more experienced can give you more information, but here is what I know.

1) I just use a normal silicone rolling pin, coated with corn starch to prevent sticking
2) Yes, it's edible. I'm not a big fan of the taste, but I love the way it looks on cakes
3) I'm not sure... someone else can help with this one. I use store bought frosting.
4) When I am attaching fondant to frosting, I just attach it to the wet frosting. When I attach fondant to fondant, I use a small paintbrush to put a little bit of water where they are going to be connected.

Have fun!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 4

1. I've seen people use wood, aluminum and marble

2. Yes fondant is edible. Try out Jennifer Dontz's recipe (in her DVD) or try chocopan for better tasting fondant.

3. Buttercream. I suggest you try Indydebi's recipe. Ganache also works well under fondant.

4. fondant to fondant = tylose glue
fondant to buttercream = sticky buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%