Help Plz.how Will Buttercream Frosting Last Room Temperature

Decorating By cherryz Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 11:49am by ziggytarheel

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 9

what is the secret to make buttercream icing last at room temperature after i remove it from the ref...
please help me...

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 9

I've heard people have buttercream in room temperature for a week.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 9

Yes, it can definitely last a week. Honestly, I think it can last 2 weeks at room temp.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

Why does is need to last a whole week? If it has any real dairy in it like butter or milk then food safety comes first and it will only last till the dairy products expiration date and should not be left out more then 4 hours at temps more that 60'F I think. All shortning butter cream would be ok but I still wouldn't leave it out a whole week.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 9

If a cake is iced in buttercream, and has milk in it- it should stay in the refridgerator right?

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #6 of 9

thank you everyone who commented... i learn something...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:32am
post #7 of 9

sadsmile........ are you telling us that your family consumes an entire cake in one sitting, or that you leave the cake in the refrigerator until it is gone ? I've never heard of that..... My cakes sit on the counter ( covered) until it is GONE.... icon_lol.gif

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:38am
post #8 of 9

Although a real buttercream has dairy (butter and/or milk) it will last at least a week. The amount of sugar you put in the buttercream acts as a preservative and keeps it from going bad. I have eaten cakes that are up to 5 days old and never had any problems. The issue is that the cake starts to get stale the longer it is out because the air is getting to it once the cake is cut. There are a ton of threads here about this and I believe some people know better about the science behind how this works.

HTH!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Why does is need to last a whole week? If it has any real dairy in it like butter or milk then food safety comes first and it will only last till the dairy products expiration date and should not be left out more then 4 hours at temps more that 60'F I think. All shortning butter cream would be ok but I still wouldn't leave it out a whole week.

I have read many websites stating that this isn't the case, that dairy products have now been "preserved" with the addition of sugar. This is true for other products. In colonial days before the canning technology we are accustomed to, people preserved vegetables that would other wise go bad with the use of vinegar. Meats were (and still are) preserved by drying and using salt. An "original expiration date" can be changed and extended by proper preservation techniques. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%