Different Shape Tiers - Not Working - Suggestions Please

Decorating By Liz1951 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm by Loucinda

Liz1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1951 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 4

For the past few weeks I've visualized what a wedding cake (for next weekend) would look like. 14" square, 12" hexagon, 10" square (angled) then 8" round. Sounds so easy and perfectly fitting. I just stacked the pans to check everything out...OH NO!!! Not so easy. The 10" square doesn't fit on top of the hexagon. If I cut to fit, it will take a big chunck out of the serving amounts. If anyone has any suggestions or pictures of your cakes that's similar to this....PLEASE email. Deeply appreciate it and a big THANKS!!!

3 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 4

Cut smaller pieces? icon_rolleyes.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 4

I had this problem too when I first started doing cakes. I've never worked with a hex so I dont have any advise but I have found that with square and round cakes if you put a square on top of a round cake, you need to have at least 4 inches, not just 2. For instance a 6" square would fit on a 10" round.

It sometimes help to keep styrofoam dummies on hand to get a visual, or even just cardboard.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

I learned this lesson the hard way too. (never took algebra either) You only make this mistake once, that is the good thing about it. I ended up just making an additional "kitchen"cake for the order I screwed up....that was equal to the number of servings I had to lop off the square to get it to fit. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%