What Is That Canned Stuff To Cool Candy Etc????

Decorating By Andy383240 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 12:32am by Andy383240

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 9

Does anybody know what the people who do ice , chocolate and sugar sculpting on FOOD NETWORK are using to rapidly cool things? I've tried every combination of words I can think of to search for it with no luck. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 9

Looks like compressed air from what I could see...gets really cold when you use it.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 9

Could be, but I seem to remember someone using canned air on a cake and there were chemicals left on it afterwards. I guess you might have to look for one used just for food if they make it.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

Yup. Compressed air like you would use to clean your computer keyboard. You can get it at Staples.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 9

It is a combination compressed air/cooling agents, but you MUST buy the type that is specifically made for use with food (sometimes called "Freeze spray"). The type of canned air you get at an office supply or hardware store may use propellants that are not safe for use on food.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 9

I think it is called freeze spray - here are a couple that I found online.

http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-amp-SUGAR-FREEZE-SPRAY_p_700.html
http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=526&parent=76

I took a chocolate class and it was used for the chocolate showpiece. The compressed air that you use on your computer is probably not food safe.

Andy383240 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you , thank you , THANK YOU!!!!! Cake Central folks are the greatest. I knew someone would have the answer.
The compressed air for computers etc. is purposely made to taste bitter to deter inhalant abuse.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 9

Yep in our pastry class in culinary school we used the compressed air cans all the time for chocolate and sugar work - Here's a trick though...if you want the air to come out ice cold hold the can upside down. We would hold our chocolate piece on to where we wanted it attached with a drop of warm chocolate and then blast it with the upside down air can and bam - instant chill.

Andy383240 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the tip. I'd love to go to classes, but there's seems never to be anything going on within my reach. I am the caregiver for my Mother who has Alzheimer's so my chance to get out is limited. That's why CC is a blessing. I've learned so much from the forums. I really, really appreciate all the very nice helpful people who post here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%