Help! Huge Baseball Cake - How To Start

Decorating By ladixiechic1 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm by andiesweet

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone, I have an order for a baseball cake to feed 40 people. icon_surprised.gif Luckily they want it one sided (like baseball in the grass). They want the whole cake to be the baseball (no sheet cake underneath). Where do I start? Do I bake several cakes the same diameter and carve from there? I would appreciate any ideas.... thanks icon_sad.gif

4 replies
ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

COME ON LADIES/GENTLEMEN I KNOW SOME OF YOU HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 5

you could bake in a bowl, although i dont know how you figure the servings - id figure out the nearest size of a round and work on that. less waste, if you have a big enough bowl!
xx

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

I did a golf ball like this. I bake a two layer 8" and filled it as usual. Then kind of carve the top layer rounded. Frosted and decorated. I'm at work SSSHHHH, LOL! or I would try to post a pic. HTH

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

I have done this at work before and we baked a couple of rounds in graduating sizes, (ex. 10" & 9") and also the soccor ball pan. stacked them up and carved it that way, then filled and iced it. hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%