Newbie Question: Covering A Cake With Fondant With...

Decorating By DesignsbyVanessa Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 10:25pm by crystalina1977

DesignsbyVanessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyVanessa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 4

I make 2 red velvet cakes in the past week, first one went well but second one I'm not sure if I filled it way too much because after hours of completion i could see the cream cheese filing seeping out not thru the fondant but bludging so my cake wasn't smooth. Understand? I think i should of microwaved after the filling prior to filling?? Not really sure where I went wrong?

My question: how long can I have a red velvet cake filled with CC filling out before it's cut and eaten? 5-6 hours or longer? My issue is time... I have a red velvet with CC that I will do for Saturday, if I finish Friday afternoon with it be ok and not spoil by Saturday evening?

3 replies
MaryKayLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryKayLady Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 4

As with anything that has Diary products in it, it should be refrigerated. If you are going to finish it that far in advance, your should keep it chilled. As a rule of thumb, cakes with butter/milk/or dairy of anysort should not be out more than 5 hours or so. You run the risk of bacteria setting in.

DesignsbyVanessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyVanessa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 4

How do I do that? especially with fondant covering?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 4

did you make a dam? maybe you did not make your dam thick enough to keep the filling in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%